Liberal arts dean leaving position to join professorial faculty

Aistrup has served as dean of the College of Liberal Arts since 2013.

The dean of Auburn’s College of Liberal Arts will soon be leaving the position after eight years.

Effective July 1, Joseph Aistrup, dean of the College of Liberal Arts, will transition to a faculty position in the department of political science, per an email from the dean’s office sent to all faculty, staff and graduate teaching assistants in the college.

“I’m blessed to have worked with so many outstanding students, faculty and staff over the eight years I’ve been dean,” Aistrup said. “They are the heart and soul of this college. However, after 28 years of serving in some type of administrative capacity in three different universities, I’m looking forward to returning to the faculty to teach our extraordinary students and to conduct my research.”

Aistrup was appointed dean in 2013, leaving an associate dean position at Kansas State University where he worked in various professorial and leadership roles since 2002.

“I appreciate Dean Aistrup’s leadership and his efforts to advance the College of Liberal Arts during his years as dean,” said Provost Bill Hardgrave. “I am especially grateful for Joe’s commitment to the faculty, staff, students and alumni and for his ability to position the college for continued success.”

Under his tenure, the College of Liberal Arts added the department of aviation and saw the completion of the Band Practice Complex and Band Rehearsal Hall Addition. 

In January 2021, Aistrup was elected chair of the board of directors of the Alabama Humanities Alliance.

“I plan to stay in Auburn to finish my career as a faculty member in political science. I will always fondly remember my years as dean of the college because of all of the great students, faculty and alumni that I had the good fortune of getting to know,” Aistrup said.

The University will begin searching for an interim dean in the coming weeks, according to the email.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Liberal arts dean leaving position to join professorial faculty” on social media.