Students weigh in on top date spots

Parks, restaurants and coffee shops — like The Bean, pictured here — are all options for date spots around Auburn.

Editor's Note: This story was featured in The Plainsman's special print edition for 2021 Camp War Eagle. You can check out an online version of that edition here.

Though Auburn might not be a big city, there are still plenty of good date options, some of which might not be in plain sight. 

Jessica Edwards, freshman in rehabilitation and disability studies, said she and her boyfriend Josh love to have a casual lunch or dinner date somewhere on campus. The two prefer Samford Lawn when it is not too crowded. 

Sometimes, though, the couple prefers to go off campus. 

“Recently, we have really loved going to the new Mo’Bay Beignet Co. downtown,” she said. 

However, if they are not enjoying a nice meal together, you can find them hanging out in Chewacla State Park. 

Brennan Welch, sophomore in political science, also loves his fair share of outdoor dates. If you’re up for a 40-minute drive, Welch recommends the Chattahoochee RiverWalk in Columbus, Georgia. 

The RiverWalk is a 15-mile stretch of sidewalk along the shore of the Chattahoochee and the city of Columbus, with historic monuments, markers, wildlife and geocaching available to entertain you and your date during any lulls in conversation. 

“The Chattahoochee RiverWalk was a great place to get outdoors and eat at a restaurant on the riverside,” he said. 

In addition, Welch has two go-to locations for a first date: Bruster’s ice cream, located on East University Drive, or coffee at The Bean, located on Dean Road. 

Emily Makosky, junior in environmental design, and her partner Alexia Alford, sophomore in wildlife science and pre-vet, shared some of their favorite date spots as well. 

For something outdoors, the couple said they love to stargaze behind the art museum, skate in the parking decks, walk around the Davis Arboretum or go geocaching. They also enjoy photo shoots around town, treats from Cheetos in Opelika, ice cream at Toomer’s or cookies from Insomnia for a late-night snack. 

Makosky and Alford also enjoy “food hopping,” where their appetizer, entree and dessert each come from different restaurants. Otherwise, they enjoy a fun thrift date at America’s Thrift Stores or Goodwill. 

For a game night, be sure to visit GoodTimes bowling and arcade on East Glenn Avenue or Rock ‘N Roll Pinball on Railroad Avenue in Opelika, where you can grab a cup of coffee next door at SideTrack. 

For a calmer activity, there are always new exhibits to look at when you visit the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art on South College Street, right across from the Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center. 

Lastly, the University Program Council hosts plenty of events for students on campus. Switch things up and attend one of their movie nights for free showings of movies, new and old. You can follow them on social media to stay up-to-date on upcoming events. 

Share and discuss “Students weigh in on top date spots” on social media.