Police investigating case of firecracker thrown at crowd at Toomer's Corner

The firecracker was thrown at 6 p.m. Saturday night, according to Auburn University Campus Safety and Security.

A lit firecracker was thrown into a crowd of people at Toomer’s Corner Saturday night.

At 6 p.m. on July 10, two males in a white SUV drove by the corner going west on West Magnolia Avenue and threw the firecracker from the vehicle, according to Auburn University Campus Safety and Security. No one was injured.

Police are investigating the incident both for harassment and for the illegal discharging of fireworks in city limits. 

Among the people at the corner was Kelli Thompson, assistant research professor in the department of psychology at the University and member of the Toomer’s Sit-In, which has been held at the corner from 5-7 p.m. for over a year. Thompson said there were several people not involved with the protest at or near the corner at the time, including children.

Thompson said she thinks it’s likely that the firecracker was directed at protesters at the sit-in. Community members reached out to Thompson after the event, both in person and on social media.

“Negative things happen, including this particular incident, and there’s certainly people who wish to intimidate,” she said. “But I’m struck by how, also, there is always more love and support.”

Police encourage anyone with information about the incident to contact the Auburn Police Division at 334-501-3100 or APD’s tip line at 334-246-1391. No tag number is available for the vehicle the firecracker was thrown from.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Police investigating case of firecracker thrown at crowd at Toomer's Corner” on social media.