Auburn's offensive line finds consistency ahead of its home opener

Auburn football practice on Saturday,  Aug. 28, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Auburn football practice on Saturday, Aug. 28, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn’s depth on its offensive line will be fully put to the test in Week 1. 

Head coach Bryan Harsin is preparing for his career debut at Auburn as the Tigers take on Akron in Week 1. Since spring camp, Harsin has mentioned the consistency of the Tigers’ offensive line and how it will be a key factor come game day. 

Now, the offensive line will be in front of a new front with players they’ve never faced before. Harsin says it’s the best test for what the line will do this season. 

“[It’s] just seeing how we operate the run game, how we operate the pass game, as far as protection goes,” Harsin said. “What our communication looks like from the interior players, especially, and just how we operate each drive. I think we’ve done some good things. We’re certainly better than what we were in the beginning of camp. We are more consistent.” 

Auburn sits with some depth on the offensive line when looking at wide receivers Shedrick Jackson, Ja’Varrious Johnson and Demetris Robertson. Jackson and Robertson are both seniors who have seen plenty of action. Robertson is a graduate transfer with his experience coming from Georgia and Jackson started playing for the Tigers as a true freshman. 

Johnson, on the other hand, is a sophomore. Regardless of class, he is considered a veteran receiver in the eyes of Harsin. 

“We talk about consistency and I think he’s been the most consistent player in the wide receiver room,” Harsin said. “It’s been Ja’Varrious. He comes out every day, works hard, he knows what to do. I’ve seen him make some really good catches at practice. He’s working on special teams and doing some things in those areas, but I like the consistency.”

Robertson is part of a class of transfers. He came in with options. He wasn’t fixated on just playing wide receiver, which was something Harsin praised. He came in ready to take on the position that was most needed and has done so since spring camp. 

“I think he grasps things pretty well, Harsin said. “He’s done a good job of putting himself in a position where he can move around. We can use him in different positions and, you know, that was one of the concerns always with a new player.”

Another transfer on the other side of the ball for the Tigers is Bydarrius Knighten. Knighten is a safety also a graduate transfer. He holds as much experience and provides depth for Auburn being a previous four-year starter. 

“I think one difference is they’ve been through fall camp, they’ve been through the learning curve and so there’s a better understanding of what to expect,” Harsin said. “It’s just something [freshmen] haven’t been through before. Once guys have been through something, once they understand ‘okay this is how it is, these are the things I have to do as a player…”

“Once you learn that, I think it makes that process of learning something new a little bit easier and you have more confidence in yourself. I think these guys that have transferred in and are older players know that they can learn it. They know the work necessary to do that.”

The Tigers’ offensive line and transfer players will get their first look at a game day operation Saturday, Sept. 4 as the Tigers kick off their season and Harsin’s career at home versus Akron. 

“The ultimate test and assessment is going to come on game day when we go out there and get a chance to do this live and against an opponent,” Harsin said. 

Mattison Allen | Assistant Sports Editor

Mattison is a senior majoring in Public Relations from Springville, Alabama. She has been part of The Auburn Plainsman since 2019. 

Twitter: @mattcurtlynn

Share and discuss “Auburn's offensive line finds consistency ahead of its home opener” on social media.