University reinstates mask requirement starting Tuesday

Signs like this remind students, faculty and staff that face masks and social distancing are required in certain parts of the campus.

Starting Tuesday, all individuals will be required to wear face coverings inside Auburn University buildings and transportation regardless of their vaccination status, the University announced Monday.

The updated policy aligns with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and recommendations from University medical staff, local health officials and the Alabama Department of Public Health.

Individuals are allowed to go without their masks in certain instances, including when outdoors, at open-air athletic venues, alone in individual offices, alone or with roommates in residence hall rooms, at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center and when actively eating at indoor dining facilities.

Masks are not required in the Campus Rec due to the increased physical exertion during the activities being performed, and the capacity for group fitness classes has been adjusted to allow for additional distancing, said Leanne Greene, assistant director of Campus Recreation marketing.

Under the policy, faculty are permitted to wear face shields rather than face coverings during lectures as long as social distancing is still maintained to allow lecturers to better project their voices. 

If it is not possible to wear a face covering due to a medical condition or disability, students should seek proper accommodations through the Office of Accessibility and employees should seek accommodations through the Office of Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity. Student requests for exemptions based on a religious concern should contact Auburn Cares.

The policy is the latest in the University’s efforts to combat COVID-19. On July 26, the University announced a vaccine incentive program offering vaccinated students the opportunity to win prizes such as a $1,000 scholarship, an A-zone parking pass and an unlimited meal plan. 

There have been 423 total cases of COVID-19 in Lee County in the past week, an increase of 86.43% from the previous week, according to data from the CDC.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “University reinstates mask requirement starting Tuesday” on social media.