How to handle game day on the Plains

Fans cheer on the tigers during Auburn vs. Mississippi State, on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Football in the SEC, especially in Auburn, is an entirely different breed other football, so here are some things you need to know going in: 

Make sure you have your Tiger Card on your phone, because it's the only way you'll get into the stadium this year. Don't forget your other essentials like your phone and wallet. This year, concession transactions are all cashless, so you'll have to pay with your debit card or from your phone. 

Be aware of the weather. Being prepared will mean the difference between having a good time and leaving because you're miserable. 

In the case of a rainy game, you’ll need to bring more ponchos than you think you need. Bring one to sit on, too. Getting soaked is inevitable, but you might as well do your best to delay it from happening. Layers will be your friend for night games or early kickoff games where you might be in the shade for a while before the game. Sunglasses and sunscreen are a necessity for early kickoff games where you’ll be out in the sun for a few hours. 

Check social media or the Auburn Athletics website to see if the game has a theme like a whiteout, for example, so that you can fit with the crowd. You’ll especially want to do this for Stripe the Stadium, because it only works when everyone joins in. 

No outfit is too outrageous, but dress ready to walk. You can cover a lot of ground without realizing it. 

Be prepared to talk to strangers. The Auburn Family is a real thing and strangers are going to be friendly on game days. Exchanging a “War Eagle” with someone on the sidewalk is very normal. 

Know the stadium’s clear bag and metal detector policy, or you may spend time figuring out what to do with a prohibited item when your friends are already inside. 

Hydration is incredibly important, especially for games early in the season. 

Sealed or empty water bottles are allowed into the stadium, so take advantage of that. Alabama heat is no joke, especially if you’re an out-of-state student with no experience in humidity. 

If you want good seats in the student section, know when the gates open and be prepared to wait in line before they do. Send a few people to save seats for a large group, but arriving early is the sure way to sit where you want. 

Pregame festivities such as the eagle flight, band performance and hype videos start 20 minutes before kickoff, so if you can’t get to the game for good seats, plan to make it on time for pregame. 

Try to learn the fight song and cheers. Pregame is way more fun when you can participate.

Look up the basics of football if you’re not familiar, or recruit a friend to explain during the game. In the worst-case scenario, just yell when everyone else does. 

Be ready to stay until the end of the game. A major point of pride at Auburn is that the students stay until the end, win or lose. 

Even if you have no reason to go downtown after a win, walking to Toomer’s Corner to roll is definitely worth it. It is a sight everyone needs to see. Your first throw will probably be bad, but hopefully, you get lots of practice. Some advice: Unroll a tail about a foot long before you throw. 

Toomer’s lemonade is also a must at Auburn, especially if they are still open after a win. 

Finally, enjoy your time at the game. It is an exciting environment, so appreciate every moment, both predictable and crazy. 

Callie Stanford | Sports Writer

Callie Stanford is from Springville, Alabama and is currently a sophomore at Auburn. She has been with The Plainsman since January 2021.

Twitter: @Stanford1Callie

Share and discuss “How to handle game day on the Plains” on social media.