Jarquez Hunter making the most of opportunity

<p>Jarquez Hunter (27) runs the ball during practice on August 6, 2021.&nbsp;</p>

Jarquez Hunter (27) runs the ball during practice on August 6, 2021. 

Third string running backs don’t tend to be the guys making big, game changing plays. But freshman running back Jarquez Hunter showed he is not just an average third-string in Saturday's win over Akron.

Hunter, stashed on Auburn’s roster behind Tank Bigsby and Shaun Shivers, exploded onto the scene in the third quarter of Auburn’s 60-10 victory over Akron, with 110 rushing yards in his first collegiate game.

LSU transfer quarterback T.J. Finley led the second team offense out with 11 minutes to go in the third, Hunter flanking him in the backfield.

On first-and-10, Finley handed the ball off to Hunter who casually exploded down the field for 37 yards on his first collegiate carry. Hunter would follow that up with a 14 yard run and a four yard run that set up a Finley rushing score.

“Jarquez was a guy we felt like would get an opportunity to go out there and play,”  said head coach Bryan Harsin. “And he earned that. The vision is there and the speed is there. For a young player, that mindset especially at that position, is crucial to keep growing.”

Hunter took his opportunity to shine even further two drives later, rattling off runs of 20, 14 and six yards before taking the ball around the right side of the offense and in for a nine-yard score. 

That score was Hunter’s first ever and Auburn’s fourth rushing score of the night

By the end of the night, Hunter had made every carry count. 

The Mississippi native finished just nine yards short of Tank Bigsby's team-leading 119 yards rushing. However, he led the team in the longest run from scrimmage and highest average per carry, at 12.2 yards per carry, while being Auburn’s highest rated player. 

With his final stat line, Hunter became the first Auburn running back to rush for over 100 yards in his freshman debut since 2009. 

“I knew Jarquez, when he got the first opportunity, he was going to do what he does,” Bigsby said. “I like how he runs. He is a great runner.”

Hunter is the former Mississippi Mr. Football coming out of Neshoba Central High School in Philadelphia, Mississippi. He earned the state Most Valuable Player of the 5A class in his senior season and set his school’s record with 93 career touchdowns.

The three-star prospect committed to play for Harsin and company back in February.

The freshman was the first player Harsin was asked about in the head coach’s press conference on Monday, and the same positive sentiment was echoed. 

“He was good. He came in and on his first run he had a downhill play where he had a chance to bounce it and you could see his speed and the ability he has running outside the tackles,” Harsin said. “He also had a couple opportunities in pass protection that he did a good job in. Young player that took advantage of his opportunity. He didn’t have the mental mistakes that young guys have, so that is a credit to him” 

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Jarquez Hunter making the most of opportunity” on social media.