Monday and defense ready to give LSU their 'best'

<p>Cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge talks to his players during a game against Alabama State on Sept. 11, 2021, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama.</p>

Cornerbacks coach Zac Etheridge talks to his players during a game against Alabama State on Sept. 11, 2021, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama.

Auburn has not won a football game against LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, since 1999. Cher had the top song of that year, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace debuted and Smoke Monday wasn’t even born yet. 

Come Saturday, the senior safety Monday wants that losing streak to end.

“We know we haven’t won in Baton Rouge in a long time,” Monday said. “I feel like we are going to break this streak come Saturday. Our team wants it bad and we are going to prepare our best. We are going to give LSU our best.” 

For No. 22 Auburn to come out victorious in Death Valley, the defense is going to have to step up. Monday says that it all predicates on communication. 

“We’ve just got to communicate better as a defense, that is really what it comes down to,” Monday said. “It is just communication. We have got to communicate.”

While the Tiger defensive line has been one of the best units in the country, Auburn’s secondary has fallen a bit behind.

With a takeaway in every game except for Akron, it would seem that Auburn’s secondary is playing just fine. But blown coverages and missed assignments have been hobbling Auburn’s ability to put away teams, as seen clearly in its game against Georgia State.

The visiting Panthers, who had not scored more than 20 points in the three games they played, put up 24 on Auburn before halftime. Two of those scores were in the passing game, where receivers found themselves wide open, as Auburn defensive backs were left way out of position. 

Against LSU, a team that lives and dies on the passing game this year, Auburn cannot have those blown assignments.

The home team will trot out a duo that was been lighting up secondaries for four straight games. 

Quarterback Max Johnson already has over 1000 yards passing and 15 passing touchdowns. His favorite target, Kayshon Boutte, has been the recipient of eight of those scores. 

In order to stop the passing attack, Monday again reiterated that his team has to communicate. 

“It’s a process every play,” Monday said. “Get lined up, get the call, communicate. That is the simplest thing we can do, just get lined up and play the brand of ball we have been playing. We got to keep getting better every week with communication.”

While playing LSU will be Auburn’s first SEC test, the Bayou Tigers are already coming off an SEC win.

Last week, LSU squeaked by Mississippi State, 28-25. 

In the game, Max Johnson hit three different receivers for scores, with three of his four passing touchdowns going for over 40-plus yards. It is highly likely that Auburn’s secondary will see Johnson rear back to throw over 30 times on Saturday. 

But when the lights turn on in Death Valley, Monday knows his team will be ready and eager to win. 

“We are going to continue making big play,” Monday said. “I feel like this defense is one of the best in the country and one of the best I've seen since I've been here."

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Monday and defense ready to give LSU their 'best'” on social media.