Special teams and defense were a key to victory in Auburn versus Georgia State

After Auburn’s last second win against Georgia State, safety Smoke Monday compared linebacker Zakoby McClain to his “evil twin.”

For the entire first half, it seemed as if Auburn defense’s evil twin was on the field. Simply put, Auburn struggled against Georgia State. The visiting Panthers hung their season-high in points on the Auburn defense, and gained almost 400 yards on offense.

The running game for Georgia State worked all of the first half, though there is a bit of a reason why.

Linebacker Owen Pappoe did not dress Saturday, still dealing with an injury suffered last week against Penn State. Also, linebacker Zakoby McClain was absent for the entire first half, serving the last part of his targeting suspension from the Penn State game.

In their place, Wesley Steiner and Chandler Wooten got the call, along with some help from Romello Height. 

The impact Pappoe and McClain usually make was notable, especially when Georgia State took a run play up the gut for a 50-yard score. Georgia State’s Tucker Gregg went almost untouched right down the middle, right where Pappoe and McClain would have been, for six. 

In the second half, with the return of McClain, Auburn’s defense was completely different. At half, Auburn went into the locker room down 24-12, ceding 299 yards to the visiting school. 

In the second half, Auburn didn’t allow a score, and limited the Panthers to 85 yards of offense. 

“In the second half, we came out and played our brand of football,” said defensive end Colby Wooden. 

No play by the defense mattered more than the one Monday made in the fourth.

Following Auburn’s touchdown with 41 seconds to go, it was Georgia State’s turn to try and win it. A deflected pass by Wooden set Georgia State up with 75 yards to go. But Monday had other plans and picked off a Panther pass and took it home for six.

“Smoke is a ballhawk,” Wooden said. “I trust him. He has a knack for finding the ball, and the end zone.” 

Monday’s pick six was the third of his career. More importantly, it sealed Auburn’s win and kept the team’s loss column clear. 

Monday was not the only Tiger to score a non-offensive touchdown, though.

Barton Lester, more commonly known for frequently carrying the American flag out of the tunnel pregame, scored on a blocked punt by Caylin Newton in the third quarter. 

Newton lined up on the punter’s left side, beat his man and got a whole hand on the ball. His deflection rolled perfectly into the endzone, where the big body of Lester was able to corral it.

“I just went full-speed, expecting to make a play,” Newton said. “And I made the play. It was a surreal moment. Definitely the best moment of my Auburn career.” 

Lester’s score is the second of his career, both on blocked punts. It is his third recovery of his career, and second this season. Up until T.J. Finley’s last second touchdown pass, Lester was the only Tiger to score a touchdown. 

Special teams made the difference for the Tigers on Saturday. Kicker Anders Carlson nailed four-of-five kicks, pushing him to third in Auburn history in scoring.

All but 12 of Auburn’s 34 points came from special teams. 

“I am proud of our guys,” said head coach Bryan Harsin. “Special teams was huge. That was a big momentum thing for us to keep us in the game. Caylin Newton was huge.” 

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Special teams and defense were a key to victory in Auburn versus Georgia State” on social media.