Webster's Wheel, indie-folk duo, hosts performances across Auburn

<p>Webster's Wheel Daniel Webster and Marie Robertson perform indie folk music at various locations across Auburn.</p>

Webster's Wheel Daniel Webster and Marie Robertson perform indie folk music at various locations across Auburn.

Webster’s Wheel, a local indie-folk duo, is the creation of Alabama locals, Daniel Webster and Marie Robertson, and was born in 2019. 

Together, Webster and Robertson work to create original music – Webster serving as the songwriter and Robertson as the arranger. 

Each artist had their own music career before joining together. The two met in 2017 when they were both booked for the same show in Florida. However, they had mutual friends for about 10 years before they even met. 

Robertson was the opening act for Webster’s band. They did not start dating until 2019 when they were asked to host a local songwriter showcase together. 

Webster and Robertson booked all of the original music acts for the showcase. 

The duo now performs all original music. While there is a large cover music scene, they wanted to expand the types of music genres in the area.

“We were trying to build a community of people who did original music,” Webster said.

The pair does not have one specific inspiration. Instead, they draw their inspiration from themes, conversations and feelings that they encounter.

“It’s not necessarily about what inspiration we’re drawing from, but what feeling we are trying to invoke in the listener,” Webster said.

They said the goal of their music is to help others.

“What we can do to encourage or add some shred of integrity to someone’s life that they might not have been expecting,” Webster said.

According to Webster, their music is personal and meaningful. 

“After he has all these lyrics all of the sudden, there is so much meaning in it,” Robertson said.

Webster’s Wheel has played numerous shows during its career with many lasting memories, but some of the duo's favorite shows to perform have been at nursing homes. 

“What made it interesting is that we were able to reach people in different places,'' Webster said.

Webster also noted how there is an element of unpredictability to performing as they never really know what is going to happen. 

Their latest performance was through a tour promoting their newest album, “Milk & Grass." The title is based on the idea of honesty and upholding personal, moral values. 

“You might not drink milk your whole life and you might not retire and just mow your lawn until you die,” Webster said.

The general theme, according to Webster and Robertson, is there may be more to life than simply working towards one concept or goal.

“A lot of it is about being present and making sure that the life that you want is happening right now,” Robertson said. 

Steven Lonis-Shumate is also a friend and supporter of Webster’s Wheel. They met through Instagram, and he has been following the duo for nearly a year now. He described their music as beautiful, vivid narratives.

“Pretty early on I was totally in love with their music,” Lonis-Shumate said. “You just get lost in their stories."

Not only does Lonis-Shumate feel this way, but he said he has noticed how the audience seems to be mesmerized by the duo.

“There will be 50 people sitting there just staring at them, hanging on their every word," Lonis-Shumate said.

Webster’s Wheel's upcoming performance is Friday, September 24 at 3:23 Cigar Bar in Auburn, Alabama. 

Becca Benner | Culture Writer

Becca Benner, senior in public relations with a minor inmarketing, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Webster's Wheel, indie-folk duo, hosts performances across Auburn” on social media.