Auburn Police Department introduces new K-9, Spectrum

<p>Spectrum, is the newest member of the Auburn Police Department's K-9 unit.&nbsp;</p>

Spectrum, is the newest member of the Auburn Police Department's K-9 unit. 

On Friday morning, The Auburn Police Department unveiled a new addition to the division through a $10,000 donation from Charter Communications Company. APD introduced the new police dog, Spectrum, who has just finished a 12-week training session, according to Spectrum's handler, Officer Tom Siter. 

Jane Rhodes, senior vice president of corporate physical security at Charter, spoke about Charter's donation to APD.

“We feel very comfortable and very proud of the fact that we could make a donation and support Spectrum in becoming a member of the Auburn Police Department,” Rhodes said. “Charter has an incredible commitment to supporting local communities, and this is the way that we do that.” 

Spectrum is a human tracking and drug dog, who graduated from a training program where he learned how to work with his handler, Siter. 

Mike Harris, assistant police chief, introduced two other K-9s, Mia and Ginger, who were accompanied by their handlers. Mia is also a drug and human detection K-9 and Ginger is an explosive and firearm detection member. 

Harris discussed the APD’s current K-9 unit and its growth. 

“While APD has had K-9s for many years, we've only recently formalized our K-9 unit,” Harris said. “We now have seven teams based on contributions, and we are very close to realizing our goals on all eight of our patrol teams. As you can see, Spectrum is a very handsome 18-month-old Belgian malinois and German shepherd cross.” 

Mayor Ron Anders spoke at the unveiling about the importance of these new units for the community. 

“The people you see in these uniforms are dedicated to protecting this community, and we appreciate everything you do,” Anders said. “Thank you ... Charter and Spectrum for your kind gifts today. We are very excited about this and excited to help the bravest people in our community continue to protect us as well as they can.”

My Ly | Community Editor

My Ly, junior in journalism, is the community editor of The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Auburn Police Department introduces new K-9, Spectrum ” on social media.