Auburn receives $1.5 million in research grants from state

<p>Samford Hall in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Samford Hall in Auburn, Ala.

A state agency has awarded more than $1.5 million in research grants to Auburn University, according to a press release from Gov. Kay Ivey's office Thursday. 

The funding comes from the Alabama Research and Development and Enhancement Fund, which was created in 2019. The grants are administered by the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs. 

The grants are earmarked for research and development for four different sustainability projects. 

Of the $1,590,470 total awarded to the University, 

• $727,677 goes to research for producing jet and diesel fuels from woody biomass and waste plastics,
  • $294,008 goes to researching and assessing the economic feasibility of converting organic wastes into bioplastics,
  • $268,353 goes to conducting research involving polymer smart machines and
  • $300,432 goes to developing soybean hulls as a means to keep aquaculture feed pellets in mass, resulting in less waste and more intake by farm-raised fish and shellfish.

Five Alabama universities and one research institution are also receiving grants, totaling $4.85 million, the press release says. 

“Our universities and research institutions in Alabama truly impact the world, and I am proud to continue investing in the important work they are doing,” Ivey said. “This $4.85 million is an investment in the future of Alabama and the future of research.”

The University of Alabama in Huntsville receives $603,206 from the grant, while the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, also in Huntsville, receives  $968,365 in funding. 

The University of North Alabama gets $10,353, while the University of Alabama and University of Alabama at Birmingham receive $341,679 and $1,335,927, respectively. 

“ADECA joins with Gov. Ivey in encouraging research and innovation in Alabama’s universities and research centers,” said Kenneth Boswell, ADECA director. “Often what comes out of the research labs and fields has far-reaching and life-changing effects. We look forward to seeing the fruits of these research projects in the future.”

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn receives $1.5 million in research grants from state” on social media.