COLUMN | The new sex-ed bill is a good first step. Alabama still needs to do more.

<p>A picture of condoms taken in the student center on Aug. 19, 2021.&nbsp;</p>

A picture of condoms taken in the student center on Aug. 19, 2021. 

Only a few months have passed since Gov. Kay Ivey signed into law the sex education bill, HB385, recognizing elementary and incomplete reforms to sex education at public K-12 schools across the state of Alabama. 

Policy does not always change daily experiences and outcomes the way it's intended to, but if brought to fruition, this law would mandate that several dire changes take place across the state in many parts of sex education.

Overall, the bill will be less stigmatizing toward individuals that are sexually active — justifiably so, given that sexual intimacy is a natural facet of biological, psychological and social functioning as well as health.

According to the bill, differences will be noted between “unintended” versus “unwanted” pregnancies. 

The bill also states that if taught, statistics should be presented to students regarding contraception — specifically, how they protect against various sexually transmitted diseases and infections as well as the potential unreliability of some contraceptives.

Information will be provided on “how to cope with and rebuff unwanted physical and verbal sexual exploitation by other persons.”

Additionally, there seems to be less prejudice toward the LGBTQ+ community as the bill instructs that there no longer be a requirement to teach that “homosexuality is not a lifestyle acceptable to the general public and that homosexual conduct is a criminal offense under the laws of the state," as stated directly from it. 

However, it is likely that notions of social acceptability in relation to institutions of marriage will persist, given that there was no revision to this part of the curriculum.

The enacted bill also requires medically accurate sex education. Evidence-based, medically accurate curricula are shown to be the most effective and ethical means of conducting sex education, resulting in more desirable biological, psychological, and social health outcomes.

People are better able to define their sexual needs, not only in relation to health but additionally in social and relational engagements. Those who receive sex education are more likely to identify when, why and from whom they should or can seek adequate help and information. 

For example, if a student is taught about various types of sexually transmitted diseases, they can notice symptoms if they arise and seek help from a medical professional. Similarly, if a student has an irregular period indicative of a more severe health issue, they can be informed of the signs and find treatment. 

Ivey’s support is promising and paves the way to acknowledging and addressing Alabamians' current and future sexual and reproductive needs however, the current state of Alabama's sex education, even in light of the enacted bill, is not adequate.

Despite evidence that sex education is essential to civic engagement, it is still not yet required that sex education be taught in Alabama schools.

The absence of sex education has been shown to correlate with sexual violence, undiagnosed diseases and disorders, elevated rates of sexually transmitted diseases and illnesses, harmful sexual behaviors and teen pregnancy.

Sex education does not lead to earlier sexual activity and instead has been shown to delay initiation of sexual intercourse, decrease the number of sexual partners, reduce risk-taking and increase the use of condoms and other forms of contraception, according to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

This bill will begin to build a more biological basis for teachings about sex but still lacks information in many areas.

A biological foundation has been shown to be vital to overcoming the many widespread harms of purity culture that are rampant across the state and which have previously guided Alabama curricula, leading to the current nonexistent teaching requirement.

Despite the general acceptance of purity culture, or the parallel abstinence-only sex education, across the state, it is important that such ideologies are kept out of public education, as public sex education should be concerned with the general well-being of the public.

Teachings reflective of purity culture feed stigma around infections and diseases, developmental abnormalities, reproductive and sexual needs and sexual minorities. Stigma drives shame and confusion surrounding one's own body and in turn, prejudices and myths.

As a consequence of purity culture, the common dialogue surrounding sex — which drives policies, practices and funding — is not reflective of science but of myths driven by individual beliefs. Education driven by this ideological stance is harmful.

This law seems to recognize the gravity and costs of a purity culture stance on sex education, a stance that created or worsened other problems of the state, such as the rate of runaway and unsheltered youth; the prevalence of commercial sex trafficking, sexual violence and domestic abuse; limited access to quality reproductive health care; and social and eco-political factors driving abortion. 

Alabama has the fourth-highest rate of unaccompanied youth without shelter across the United States, as found by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Commercial sexual trafficking, sexual violence and domestic abuse are also elevated, all of which could be partially addressed through sex education.

There is also limited access to quality reproductive and sexual care across Alabama and neighboring states. This is worrying because of the high rate of teen pregnancy and intimate partner violence. 

Acknowledging the need for adequate and holistic sexual education might be the first step to overcoming many social, economic and political factors that have led to negative sexual, psychological, social and reproductive health outcomes.

Future revisions to Alabama's public sexual education can follow recommendations from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:

• Curricula should focus on clear health goals, reproductive development, consent, communication, recognizing and preventing sexual violence, human rights in relation to the LGBTQ+ community and others.
  • Informed teaching should account for individuals with intellectual and physical disabilities, as well as other groups with unique needs and risks.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provided evidence that effective curricula:

• Are research-based and theory-driven.
  • Address social pressures and influences.
  • Provide developmentally appropriate information.
  • Work to increase personal perceptions of risks and harms of engaging in certain behaviors.

Other revisions should account for the unique needs of Alabamians. 

Overall, Ivey's enactment was a good first step towards supporting the well-being of Alabamians; however, the current status of state sex education is not adequate if we are hoping to fully address reproductive, sexual, and relational health in Alabama. 

Regan Moss | Columnist

Regan Moss, senior pursuing concurrent degrees in microbiology and neuroscience, is a columnist for The Plainsman. 

@ReganMoss20

ram0083@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “COLUMN | The new sex-ed bill is a good first step. Alabama still needs to do more. ” on social media.