Players to watch, keys to victory in LSU versus Auburn

A week after a dramatic, come-from-behind 34-24 win on homecoming week versus Georgia State, Auburn goes to the notorious Death Valley to play the LSU Tigers. This game opens Southeastern Conference play in a big way. 

Auburn and LSU host a historic matchup of SEC-West rivals, and Auburn has not left Death Valley with a win since 1999. Both Tigers come in with a 3-1 record.

LSU won with a 28-25 score over Mississippi State in Starkville last week to improve that 3-1 record. They are on a three-game win streak after opening with a loss to UCLA in Week 1. That loss to the Bruins might be deceiving, though. It was LSU’s season opener, while UCLA began its season a week prior and was able to adjust before facing LSU. 

Here are some players to watch and keys to victory for both teams:

Auburn:

The QB room:

Junior quarterback Bo Nix, a starter since his freshman year, was benched last week against Georgia State and was replaced by sophomore T.J. Finley, who led Auburn to that comeback victory in the fourth quarter.

Finley spent his freshman year at LSU before transferring to Auburn. He battled with current LSU quarterback Max Johnson and got significant playing time before losing the job to Johnson. 

Coach Bryan Harsin has not announced who will start on Saturday, but it is possible that viewers could see a combination of Nix and Finley. The quarterback battle will be a topic of conversation no matter who takes the field. 

Smoke Monday:

The senior defensive back is coming off a game-sealing pick-six versus Georgia State with under a minute left in the game. However, he cannot afford to hold his head too high because he faces a talented LSU receiver group this week, including Kayshon Boutte. With LSU being a team that has shown it can throw the deep ball, Monday will need to step up and lead the Auburn defense.

Anders Carlson: 

Against Georgia State last Saturday, he became the second all-time leader in field goals made in Auburn history with 62. He trails only his brother, Daniel, who had 92.

Carlson was also named a Campbell Trophy, also known as the 'academic Heisman,' semi-finalist on Wednesday. He’s had a big week and fans should look for another solid game from the senior kicker, who is 18-for-19 on field goals this year.

Jarquez Hunter: 

The true freshman running back averages 4.4 more yards per carry than leading back Tank Bigsby. Hunter is 21 yards behind Bigsby with 29 fewer carries. He could be an emerging star in his first SEC game; not to mention it is a prime-time game and the country will be watching. Look out for No. 27.

LSU:

Kayshon Boutte:

LSU has one of the best big-play threats in the nation in Boutte. The star sophomore receiver leads the team with 24 receptions for 309 receiving yards. His eight receiving touchdowns count for over half of the team’s total which sits at 15.

He was overshadowed by standout receiver Jamar Chase and others in 2020, but now it is his chance to be a leader. He is only a sophomore and NFL scouts are already drooling over Boutte’s skillset. No. 1 is sure to be called on quite a few times on Saturday night.

Max Johnson:

The LSU starting quarterback has let it fly this year. He already has 1,144 yards on 135 passes along with 15 touchdowns through just four games. He is more of a pocket passer, so unlike previous LSU quarterbacks, he is not a big liability in the run game. Although he is only a sophomore, we have already seen how LSU head coach Ed Orgeron trusts him to throw often.

Derek Stingley Jr.: 

The junior defensive back and Baton Rouge native has been a difference-maker on LSU’s defense for each of his three seasons. He had six interceptions and 38 tackles in 2019. 

However, this season his stats do not reflect his star status. For one, he missed last week’s game versus Mississippi State with a foot injury. Besides missing that game, his stats are low because offenses run plays away from him. Not only is he a huge threat to intercept and defend passes, but he is also one of the best at using his speed to make open-field tackles.

All that said, his status for the game is still unknown. 

Cade York: 

The junior kicker is perfect on field goal opportunities this season, including 2-for-2 from beyond 50 yards. The three-year starting kicker has improved his field goal percentage each year. If the game comes down to a clutch field goal by LSU, Auburn fans should be saying their prayers. 

Keys to victory:

Auburn:

Auburn has to put pressure on Johnson consistently. If Johnson can get comfortable in the pocket and throw downfield, it is going to be a long night for Auburn’s secondary. 

With LSU being a pass-heavy offense, putting the quarterback on the ground is a must. LSU does not have a tailback with over 200 rushing yards yet. If Auburn can force Johnson to hand the ball off, that will likely go in Auburn’s favor.

On the offensive side of the ball, Auburn has to use it's strong running game to expose LSU’s weak run defense. UCLA beat LSU by rushing for over 200 yards on 47 carries. Although, the offense cannot get one-dimensional. UCLA was also able to score on some big pass plays because LSU was so focused on stopping the run. 

LSU:

The stadium in Baton Rouge has a reason to be called Death Valley. LSU’s fan base brings it at every home game, so an 8 p.m. kickoff versus an SEC-West foe is sure to make LSU’s stadium erupt. Crowd noise could be a decisive factor in the game. 

This is Auburn’s first conference road game under Harsin, so noise can make an especially big impact on Auburn's ability to communicate. Not only does Auburn have a new head coach, but it also has a quarterback controversy. LSU needs to make offensive play-calling as hard as possible and put pressure on those Auburn quarterbacks. 

On offense, controlling the time of possession and limiting turnovers is going to be crucial. Johnson has made a lot of huge plays through the air but has thrown interceptions in three of their four games. He has to be smart with the football. Punting is not necessarily disastrous but turnovers can be fatal.

The two Tigers will clash on Oct. 2 at 8 p.m. CST in Baton Rouge. 

Share and discuss “Players to watch, keys to victory in LSU versus Auburn” on social media.