The Oaks Agency hosts Pups on the Plains at Toomers Corner

<p>Pet owners and their dogs attended the event at Toomer's drugs&nbsp;</p>

Pet owners and their dogs attended the event at Toomer's drugs 

On Saturday at Toomer’s all eyes were on the dogs at the Pup Photoshoot event hosted by The Oaks Agency student public relations firm at Toomer’s Drugs.

During the event, dog owners picked from Auburn themed jerseys and leashes to try on their dogs for the photoshoot along with toys. Then, Joe Watcher, head photographer for The Oaks Agency, would take free photos of the dogs.

Over 30 dogs attended the event, and all of the merchandise used was given by Toomer’s Drugs. 

Lance Radermacher, the owner of Urban Smoke in Opelika, Alabama, came all the way from Beauregard, Alabama to bring his dog Lily to the event and enjoyed being around all the dogs.

“Auburn’s a dog town. It’s always been a dog town,” he said. "Every time you come up here whether it’s game day or whether it’s holiday, there’s always somebody up here roaming around this area with dogs. So, it’s just fun.” 

The Oaks Agency and Toomers Drugs partnered with Pups on the Plain, a student run animal rescue. Two of their foster dogs attended the event. 

Isabella Wimberly, the event coordinator said that this event was a perfect way to encourage fostering and adopting of animals rescued with Pups on the Plain, but also allows the dogs to be in a stress-free environment and have some fun. 

According to Alyssa Turner, the firm director of The Oaks Agency, expressed that she was glad to partner with and help Toomer’s Drugs for this event, and that the goal is to have more events like this in the future.

“They [Toomer’s Drugs] wants to show that they are part of this community,” Turner said. "It’s not just the face and place you visit every Saturday to get that lemonade before gameday. They’re here. They’re ready to serve their people.”

As a result of the event, a few of the dog owners who participated in the event purchased dog merchandise in the store. 

Mary Douglas Turner, the shift leader for Toomer’s expressed that she would like to see the event happen more, and to see more people bring in their dogs. 

“I think it’s a really sweet invitation for people to come and like bring your dogs," Turner said.  "We want to see y’all. We want to get pictures of y’all. We care. And it’s awesome that we are going to end up using this as a lot of our marketing.”

They are also doing a giveaway for the dogs who attended the event, and who post their pictures on Instagram and tag Toomer’s Drugs Instagram page. 

There will be 2 winners. One will be selected randomly, and the other will be the dog with the most likes. The winners will get to choose one item of dog merchandise from Toomer’s drugs. 

The winners will be announced on October 27. 

Kelis McGhee | Community Writer

Kelis McGhee, junior in journalism, is a community writer for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “The Oaks Agency hosts Pups on the Plains at Toomers Corner ” on social media.