New practice gym in Auburn Arena on Trustees' next agenda

Auburn University's Board of Trustees will vote to build a second practice gym in Auburn Arena at its next meeting on Feb. 4.

A second practice gym for Auburn basketball is up for approval at the Auburn University Board of Trustees’ next meeting on Feb. 4. 

The third resolution on the Board of Trustees’ agenda proposes to construct a second practice gym at Auburn Arena and renovate existing team support spaces “to allow both the men’s and women’s basketball programs to conduct practices at times that are advantageous to student-athletes.”

Right now, Auburn Arena’s lone practice gym is used by several athletics programs — men’s and women’s basketball, women’s volleyball and women’s gymnastics, as well as visiting team pre-game practice sessions. According to Board of Trustees materials, the main court is often not available for team practice sessions, causing the existing practice gym in Auburn Arena to be overscheduled. 

Having a second practice gym will bring Auburn’s facilities to “Southeastern Conference competitive standards,” the resolution says.

While a budget hasn’t been established for the project, it is expected to be funded from gift funds and bonds from donors, with the Athletics Department covering the debt service on the bonds. 

Approval of the resolution will allow Auburn University Facilities Management to begin selecting an architect for the project.

The Board of Trustees will also vote on other upgrades to athletics facilities, including renovations to the Athletics Complex and women’s basketball locker room.

Once construction is finished on the Football Performance Center at the intersection of West Samford Avenue and Wire Road, the football staff will relocate from the Athletics Complex to the new facility. The Athletics Department plans to relocate personnel in the Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum and other Athletics facilities to the Athletics Complex, located at the corner of South Donahue Drive and West Samford Avenue.

The resolution to come asks for initial approval of renovations to the Athletics Complex to accommodate incoming staff personnel.

Trustees will also vote on the final approval of a $3 million renovation to the women’s basketball locker room. If approved, Facilities Management will establish a budget for the project and solicit bids for its construction.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “New practice gym in Auburn Arena on Trustees' next agenda” on social media.