Presidential candidate hopes to create a welcoming environment on campus

If confirmed by the Auburn University Board of Trustees, Chris Roberts said he'll value open communication as the next president of the University.

Chris Roberts currently serves as the dean of the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering.

In June 2021, Auburn University President Jay Gogue announced that he was looking to retire from his current position after serving his second term as president. The University has announced Chris Roberts as the single candidate in the running to take over Gogue’s place. 

If elected, Roberts will serve as Auburn University’s 21st president. 

Roberts currently serves as the dean of the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering and came to Auburn in 1993 after receiving his bachelor’s degree from the University of Missouri and his master’s in chemical engineering from the University of Notre Dame. 

He said that he felt a connection to Auburn when he was first interviewed to join the University’s faculty 27 years ago. 

“You know, it was like, drop-the-mic type moment as soon as I was on campus. I spent some time here with the people. I knew this's where I wanted to come,” Roberts said. “Somebody handed me a copy of the Auburn Creed in the middle of the interview, and that evening in the hotel, I sat that night and read the Auburn Creed. And I thought, 'This is awesome. This is a school that has a stated set of values. It's helping to define the culture of the place.' I witnessed it all day. I fell in love with it at that moment. So, I worked really hard to be able to come here and join Auburn.”

During his first experience in Auburn, Roberts said he felt a warmth among the community that was “really compelling” and that he was captivated by what he felt was the quintessential college town. 

Roberts served as chair of the chemical engineering department for 10 years and has spent the last 10 years as the dean of the college of engineering. 

His role as dean has given him the opportunity to work with students and faculty closely, Roberts said. 

“We are trying to create an environment where everybody in the college feels welcomed, valued, respected and engaged,” Roberts said. “Of course, those are the things that I really want: each and every student to be able to talk and faculty members and staff members to feel part of the college that way.” 

While serving as dean, Roberts said that his position has also provided opportunities that will help him in the role of president of the University if elected. 

“I think my experiences provide me a great foundation for the president's role,” Roberts said. “I've been able to witness firsthand the significant impact that Auburn can have on our people and our society, and being able to experience that as dean has set me up to be able to engage with a large number of our constituents, whether they be our alumni, community leaders, students or faculty."

Roberts said he believes that the relationship between a university’s president and the student body should function where both feel listened to. 

“The importance of that relationship between the president of the university and the audience is really important in both directions,” he said. “It's critical for the president to be in touch and to have open channels of communication with our students and to be able to listen and to know what's on your minds, and what your dreams are, and what your aspirations are. ... And on the other hand, I think it's important for our students to know that that their president is listening."

On Jan. 20 and 21, Roberts will be available to the public in several open forums. He will be on Auburn University and Auburn University Montgomery’s campus. Students, faculty, staff and stakeholders are invited to attend these meetings.

The Plainsman will release more coverage on Chris Roberts and the University's presidential search in the coming days.

My Ly | Community Editor

My Ly, junior in journalism, is the community editor of The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Presidential candidate hopes to create a welcoming environment on campus” on social media.