How transfer guard Wendell Green Jr. became 'Logo Wen'

December 22, 2021; Auburn, Alabama; Wendell Green Jr. (1) celebrates after draining a half-court shot in a match between Auburn and Murray State in the Auburn Arena.

Auburn claimed many great additions to its basketball roster before this season. Most of them were highly touted transfer prospects like Walker Kessler, coming in from North Carolina, or K.D. Johnson, who left the Georgia basketball program after his freshman year to join Auburn. 

Then, there’s 5-star incoming freshman Jabari Smith, who came into Auburn as the top-rated prospect in the state of Georgia. 

As the others claimed all the pre-season hype, one transfer pickup flew under the radar, but his performance has elevated this Tiger team to another level. That is Wendell Green Jr. 

Now the beloved Auburn star is known as “Logo Wen,” Green began the season as a name on the roster many fans were unfamiliar with. 

Originating from Detroit, Michigan, Green attended La Lumiere high school in Indiana and led his team to a National Title appearance in 2019.

Green was not recruited by any SEC teams out of high school. He was a 3-star point guard and rated as the 16th best point guard in his class by 247Sports. He spent his freshman season at Eastern Kentucky, which he chose instead of TCU, Depaul, Akron and Rhode Island, most notably.

After his freshman season at EKU, Green caught Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl’s attention after he was chosen to the OVC All-Conference team and All-Newcomer team. The 5-foot-11 guard chose to make the move to Auburn following his freshman season and has been instrumental, while overlooked, part of Auburn’s climb to its No. 1 ranking.

“Just the history of smaller guards that came through," Green said on why he chose Auburn. "Sharife Cooper, Jared Harper [and more.] Just knowing that I play similar to some of those guys and it was the right system. The love that [coach Bruce Pearl] showed me in the transfer portal, it was like none other.” 

Green put Auburn fans on notice in the Tiger’s season opener versus Morehead State, a team he faced three times in his season at EKU. He knocked down Auburn’s first 3-pointer of the season from the corner before splashing two more deep balls in the game en route to leading the team in scoring with 19 points and adding five rebounds and three assists. 

This season, he averages 12.1 points, 4.9 assists, 1.6 steals and shoots the three with 33.9% efficiency on the season. He is now on the watchlist for the Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award, given to the top point guard in college basketball. 

The sophomore guard has done all this while coming off the bench in 18 of 21 games this season.

Green has continued to wow fans with his incredible range and playmaking ability, which have drawn him comparisons to NBA guards Stephen Curry and Trae Young, who were both college stars that stretched the floor with their ability to drain deep shots.

Green has earned the name “Logo Wen” after hitting 3’s from way beyond the arch, sometimes even while standing on or near the home team’s logo, which stretches just beyond each side of midcourt. He has caught the attention of fans as a player coming off the bench by hitting shots that other players wouldn’t consider putting up.

Most famously, he splashed a shot from just beyond midcourt, just barely beating the shot clock in the second half against Murray State and causing the crowd to erupt. 

“When it went in, I was shocked just like everybody else,” Green said. 

Green has not shied away from the big stage, either. Though he came in with a lot of talent in front of him, he has earned his minutes on the floor. Prior to the season, Pearl said senior Zep Jasper was most likely to start at point guard. 

This did not stop or discourage Wendell, who spoke on the competitiveness within the team early in the season after the win versus South Carolina.

“We all [himself, K.D. Johnson and Zep Jasper] came in the middle of June and we didn’t really know each other so we were really going at it then, and we pushed each other," Green said. "Now we’re playing together and it’s fun, practices are crazy. It’s kind of lightened up now that we’re in the season, but we all respect each other and we go out there and play well together.”

In one of the team’s most memorable wins this season against Alabama, he dribbled from side to side before stepping back and converting on two deep threes in the Tiger’s four-point victory against Alabama on the road. 

When he decides he’s going to shoot, he does not shy away, and when he gets an open shot, he fires away no matter where he is on the court. 

Nov. 9, 2021; Auburn, Alabama; Wendell Green Jr. (1) takes a contested shot in a match against Morehead State.

Also, when he hits one, his opponent better be ready for him to fire another. He has attempted at least three 3-pointers in every game this season with a season-high of 10 attempts versus Alabama. He has converted on at least one attempt in every match except the third game of the season against USF.

Although other newcomers to Auburn basketball have made huge contributions to the team as well, bringing in well-deserved hype, Wendell Green Jr. has been the Tiger’s unforeseen star and adds a unique skillset that pushes the team to another level.

Green has shown confidence in himself and the Tigers from the beginning of the season.

“I think we can be great,” Green said after the season opener versus Morehead State. “One of the best teams in the nation." 

Share and discuss “How transfer guard Wendell Green Jr. became 'Logo Wen'” on social media.