COVID hospitalizations at EAH lowest since June 2021

The number of patients with COVID-19 at East Alabama Health facilities has fallen since reaching 100 on January 18.

The number of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 at East Alabama Medical Center and EAMC-Lanier has fallen to its lowest level in nine months.

On Wednesday, March 9, there were only four patients at East Alabama Health facilities being treated for COVID-19. That is the fewest COVID patients at the organization’s two main hospitals since June 3, 2021, EAH tweeted Wednesday afternoon. 

March 9 was also the third straight day with no patients on ventilators for COVID-19 at EAMC or EAMC-Lanier.

On January 18, just over six weeks ago, a record 100 patients were hospitalized with COVID-19 at EAMC and EAMC-Lanier, the fifth peak in hospitalizations seen during the pandemic. 

Hospitalizations quickly increased in late December before reaching a peak in mid-January and quickly decreasing.

The CDC recently launched a “COVID-19 Community Level” tool online, which is designed to help communities determine what prevention steps to take, according to its website. Lee County’s COVID-19 level is currently listed as “low,” according to the CDC, the safest of the CDC’s three levels. 

The CDC’s guidance for counties with low levels of transmission is to stay up to date with COVID-19 vaccines and get tested if experiencing symptoms. 

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “COVID hospitalizations at EAH lowest since June 2021” on social media.