Here's what students are doing for spring break

<p>Auburn is home base, but this time around, students are ditching the books for their spring break plans.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn is home base, but this time around, students are ditching the books for their spring break plans. 

After a year’s worth of “wellness days,"  Auburn University is back to its traditional spring break. 

Spring break for Auburn starts on Monday, March 7, and ends on Friday, March 11. Students plan on traveling near and far, whether that be on an educational trip, a mission trip or to the beach. 

Shelby Dupre, sophomore in theater specializing in tech design, is going on a trip to Memphis, Tennessee, for a job fair. 

“I’m hoping to get a summer internship or job in costuming, either working under a designer, designing, just sewing in a shop or working wardrobe crew," Dupre said.

The Southeastern Theater Conference helps theater tech and actors make connections and find future jobs.

“December is when I signed up for the conference but I haven’t really gotten plans together until February,” Dupre said.

Dupre has designed two shows, assisted in designing for a show and worked as a stitcher for most, if not all, the shows since spring 2020.

“I eventually want to be a costume designer for film or television, but theater is still an amazing platform and I wouldn’t be disappointed with it,” Dupre said. 

Britton Pass, freshman in pre-pharmacy, is going to Panama City, Florida, with her roommate and friends.

“I love sitting on the beach from when I wake up in the morning till when it gets dark,” Pass said.

Pass and her friends have been planning this trip for about two months now.

“I’m excited to go with new people I’ve met and gotten close with this year,” Pass said. “I’m most looking forward to tanning and just being there on a beach."

Ashleigh Farmer, sophomore in biomedical sciences, plans on going on a week-long medical trip to small communities in the Dominican Republic.

‘I’ve always wanted to go to a new place and experience what life is like there,” Farmer said.

This trip is made possible through an organization called Global Medical Training, which has a chapter here at Auburn.

“I’ve never been on a medical mission trip like this before, so I’m very excited just for the experience and meeting all of these new people, whether it’s the patients or my colleagues for the week,” Farmer said. 

GMT’s goal is to help as many people as they can with medical treatment during the time they are there.

“I’ve also always loved to help people in any way I can, and I feel like this trip specifically stuck out to me because it had every one of my interests highlighted,” Farmer said. 

In preparation for this trip, she learned how to take vitals, what to look for in patients and how to engage with the patients as she’s checking them out.

"I’m so excited to actually be there and do it physically,” Farmer said. 

The group Farmer will be with is scheduled to have four clinic days, one beach day and two travel days.

“Even though the clinic days are longer, that’s probably what I’m most excited about,” Farmer said. 

This trip will help Farmer gain experience in the medical field. 

“There are a lot of rules but they are just in place to keep the patients as our number one focus and priority for the time we are there,” Farmer said. 

Farmer will be traveling with some other Auburn students, as well as students from colleges that also have GMT chapters at their universities. 

Virginia Shea | Culture Writer

Virginia Shea, sophomore in pre-public relations, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Here's what students are doing for spring break” on social media.