Auburn looking to erase SEC losing skid against Mississippi State

Sydney Cox throws towards first base
Sydney Cox throws towards first base

After losing five straight SEC games, Auburn attempts to get back to .500 in the conference with a road trip to Starkville on deck. 

The Mississippi State Bulldogs also ride a long SEC losing streak - dropping four straight conference games. Both teams sit tied at No. 8 in the SEC with a 7-8 conference record.

Though Auburn has struggled in its recent SEC games, the Tigers handled business in their last four nonconference games. Auburn won both its games against Niagara, run-ruled Jacksonville State and defeated Chattanooga to gain some much-needed confidence.

On offense, Mississippi State has not posed much of a threat compared to other teams. The Bulldogs are hitting just a .296 average as a team with an on-base percentage of .389, which ranks eleventh in the SEC.

The Bulldogs rely heavily on the home-run ball for runs. 

Sitting in the bottom half of the conference in doubles, triples, hits and RBIs, home runs have been Mississippi State's saving grace with 61 on the season.

Luckily for Auburn, the Tigers' pitchers have been phenomenal at not allowing home runs, surrendering just 26 in 43 games.

One thing Mississippi State has done well is not striking out. 

The Bulldogs have struck out 179 times this season which is the third least in the conference. Between the Bulldogs' great plate discipline and Auburn's ace Maddie Penta, who recently eclipsed 200 strikeouts in the 2022 season, a tantalizing matchup is on hand between the two teams.

Mississippi State leans on its defense and pitching to win games. In six of its seven conference wins, Mississippi State has held opponents to three or less runs. 

The Bulldogs are one of five teams in the SEC with a team ERA below three. Mississippi State pitchers are also holding opponents to a batting average of .222 and have struck out batters 304 times. In comparison, Auburn ranks atop the SEC in strikeouts with 370, led by Penta's incredible year.

The Bulldogs' pitchers are susceptible to giving up big hits, however. With five triples and 36 home runs allowed this season, Mississippi State ranks near the bottom of the conference in those categories. This should serve as good news for Auburn who ranks second in the SEC in triples and third in home runs.

Bri Ellis has knocked 16 home runs this season, and the freshman certainly looks to grow that number against a team that has proved to be careless with its pitches at times. Ellis was named Freshman of the Week on Tuesday after hitting 6-for-7 at the plate a week ago with three of those hits being home runs.

Mississippi State pitchers have also tossed 30 wild pitches and hit 33 batters with pitches, so though they have not given up many runs throughout the season, they are prone to mistakes.

Auburn looks to take advantage of those mistakes in the three-game series that begins Friday. The first game starts at 5:30 p.m. CST and will be broadcast on SEC Network.

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn looking to erase SEC losing skid against Mississippi State” on social media.