Five East Alabama mayors endorse Ivey for reelection

Gov. Kay Ivey delivers the 2019 state of the state address before a joint session of the Alabama Legislature in the Old House Chambers of the Alabama State Capitol on March 5, 2019.

Five East Alabama mayors, including Auburn Mayor Ron Anders, endorsed Gov. Kay Ivey in her reelection campaign, according to a press release from Ivey’s office sent Thursday afternoon. 

“I’m honored to receive the support of East Alabama’s mayors,” Ivey said. “I have seen robust development throughout the East Alabama region in the past four years under their leadership. I’m talking about rapid job growth and ample opportunities for Alabama’s backbone — our workforce.”

Anders, Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller, Alexander City Mayor Buddy Baird, Smiths Station Mayor F.L. “Bubba” Copeland and Notasulga Mayor Tommy Miller all endorsed Ivey. 

Mayor Ron Anders expressed that Ivey’s work with Auburn has been crucial in the City’s development. 

“Gov. Ivey’s interest in Auburn goes beyond her love for her alma mater,” Anders said. “She’s been a vital supporter of the efforts of the City of Auburn as we have recruited new industries and jobs in our community and as we have assisted our current industries in expansion. She’s a true friend of Auburn, and she has been a true friend of mine. I appreciate her leadership that she has exhibited with conviction during a very difficult time for all of us.”

William Califf, Ivey’s campaign manager, said in the press release that Ivey’s work with East Alabama is something she looks forward to continuing. 

“The Governor’s mission is simple — to grow Alabama’s economy, make our state a great place to live and do business and defend our conservative, Alabama values,” Califf said. “I thank these fine folks for their endorsements — it will mean a lot on May 24 when Alabama voters show up to the polls to vote for Kay Ivey.” 

My Ly | News Editor

My Ly, junior in journalism, is the news editor of The Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Five East Alabama mayors endorse Ivey for reelection” on social media.