Auburn football gets deeper at receiver, picks up eighth 2023 commit in Sorey

Birmingham Bowl presser with Auburn coach Bryan Harsin and Houston coach Dane Holgorsen  on Thursday,  Dec. 16, 2021 in Birmingham, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Birmingham Bowl presser with Auburn coach Bryan Harsin and Houston coach Dane Holgorsen on Thursday, Dec. 16, 2021 in Birmingham, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn added some depth to its 2023 football class on Friday, landing its eighth commitment and second receiver in the class with Daquayvious Sorey.

After initially being committed to play for Kirby Smart and the Georgia Bulldogs, Sorey selected Auburn over Alabama, Florida and Miami, but not without some trickery. He picked up and tried on Crimson Tide and Florida Gators hats before tossing them to the side and finally putting on an Auburn cap. Unlike the other ones, the Auburn hat was put on to a crowd of cheers behind him.

With receiver being a position in question for the Tigers in recent years, they have now added two receivers of good size to the 2023 class. 

Storey, standing at 6-foot-1, joins Central-Phenix City's Karmello English at WR in Auburn's 2023 receiving core. English stands at six-feet-tall and both receivers weigh over 180. Both guys are also 4-star recruits, according to 247 sports.

This is also the second recruit Auburn has snagged from the state of Florida for the 2023 group, along with 4-star edge Willy Denaud. 

Reigning from Chipley, Florida, the pass catcher hauled in 30 balls for Chipley last year, good for 546 yards and six touchdowns, but catching passes is only one facet of his skillset that he displayed.

Sorey knows what to do with the ball in his hands. Not only did each of his receptions go for 18.2 yards a piece, he carried the ball 16 times for 187 yards and took two of those to the house. He also racked up almost 200 additional yards last year on special teams and showed his ballhawking ability by grabbing four interceptions.

Not to mention, Sorey is a multi-sport athlete. He also participated in track and field last year. Auburn has added a multi-faceted athlete to next year's class.

With Storey's commitment, Auburn's 2023 class jumped from No. 68 nationally to No. 58, and wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard will have another big-play threat in the WR room next season.

Noah Griffith | Assistant Sports Editor

Noah is a senior in journalism from Salem, Alabama. He joined the Plainsman in August of 2021 after transferring in from Southern Union Community College.

Twitter: @NoahGG01

Share and discuss “Auburn football gets deeper at receiver, picks up eighth 2023 commit in Sorey” on social media.