Gunshots reported Monday night in south Auburn

<p>An unidentifiable white sedan is seen crashed through a window of a residence at The Social apartment complex on West Longleaf Drive after gunshots were reported shortly after 10 p.m. Monday. Photo by Daniel Schmidt.</p>

An unidentifiable white sedan is seen crashed through a window of a residence at The Social apartment complex on West Longleaf Drive after gunshots were reported shortly after 10 p.m. Monday. Photo by Daniel Schmidt.

At around 9:50 p.m. Monday, gunshots were reported near West Longleaf Drive.

While no fatalities were reported, Assistant Police Chief Clarence Stewart of the Auburn Police Department said that a “very uncooperative” individual sustained a single gunshot wound to his lower abdomen.

That individual was ultimately transported by paramedics to Piedmont Hospital in Columbus, Ga., to receive treatment and is currently in stable condition. 

While no arrests have been made and a suspect has not yet been identified, Stewart assured The Plainsman that there is not an active threat to the public.

“From the preliminary investigation, it appears as if this gentleman and another individual were engaged in criminal activity, so this wasn’t a random shooting,” said Stewart. “I don’t want people to think that there’s someone out there just shooting people like on the interstate a week ago.”

At the scene, an unidentifiable white sedan had crashed through a front window of a residence.

As authorities combed through a nearby section of the parking lot, numerous evidence markers were seen scattered across the asphalt.

Multiple residents that lived in the area also reported hearing numerous gunshots.

“We’re asking the public to assist us in this investigation, and if anyone that has any knowledge, please call us at the anonymous tip line,” said Stewart.

Anyone with information related to the case is asked to contact the tip line (334) 246-1391.

Daniel Schmidt | Assistant News Editor

Daniel Schmidt, senior in journalism, is the assistant news editor for the Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Gunshots reported Monday night in south Auburn” on social media.