City Council announces slate of improvement projects

<p>Auburn's City Council meets in the City Council Chamber at 141 N. Ross St. on May 4, 2021.</p>

Auburn's City Council meets in the City Council Chamber at 141 N. Ross St. on May 4, 2021.

Auburn City Council announced on Tuesday several capital improvement projects around town and a number of alcohol beverage licenses during a brief meeting. 

Among the projects discussed were the replacement of the septic system at Kiesel Park, the replacement of a water main pipe on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and the construction of an enclosure around the downtown Auburn compactor. In total, those three projects will cost just under $247,000.

The Council also approved alcohol beverage licenses for four businesses: the Towneplace Suites by Marriott Auburn located at 1117 S. College St., the Good Karma restaurants located at 132 N. College St. and 1409 S. College St. and The Vintage 2298 Restaurant located at 2298 E. University Drive. 

“I would like to welcome The Vintage to Auburn,” said Beth Witten of Ward 3 . “We hope to share in your success.”

Primary among the projects was the replacement of the water main pipe. While a precise timeline was not presented, it is part of a larger renovation of the area, which will see an expanded sidewalk, decorative pedestrian lighting, landscaping, medians and storm and sanitary extensions.

Conceptual plans for the project were first presented to the public on Feb. 20, 2020, and construction is expected to begin sometime in 2023. The city believes the entire project will take between 12 to 18 months to complete.

Residents that would be directly impacted were consulted and “welcomed” the improvements, according to City Manager Megan McGowen Crouch. 

Regarding the updated septic tanks to be installed at Kiesel Park on Chadwick Lane, Crouch mentioned that work will begin “as quickly as the contracts can be executed and run through the system,” with a targeted completion date by the end of October.

The new septic tank will bring necessary updates to what is Auburn’s largest park, which hosts Auburn CityFest, the Fall Sundown Concert Series, the annual Easter egg hunt and numerous weddings.

As for the construction of two separate brick enclosures around the existing and future compacting facilities next to the Auburn Municipal Parking Deck, council members agreed that it would be a welcome sight.

“This is another opportunity to highlight some nice improvements to our city, and I’m excited to see this one,” said Councilman Jay Hovey. “I think this will definitely be a significant aesthetic upgrade to downtown and something that’s been needed for a while.”

The Council also made two appointments to vacant seats on separate local boards. 

Vince Swanson was appointed to the Indian Pines Recreation Authority. His unexpired term will begin immediately and end on June 20, 2023. 

Cynthia Boyd was appointed to the Lee County Youth Development Center Board of Directors. Her term will begin on Oct. 1, 2022, and end Sept. 30, 2026.

Daniel Schmidt | Assistant News Editor

Daniel Schmidt, senior in journalism, is the assistant news editor for the Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “City Council announces slate of improvement projects” on social media.