Hall tallies another 'first' for Auburn, earns weekly SEC honor

<p>Auburn edge rusher Derick Hall (29) celebrates after snagging an interception against the Missouri Tigers in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Sep. 24, 2022.</p>

Auburn edge rusher Derick Hall (29) celebrates after snagging an interception against the Missouri Tigers in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Sep. 24, 2022.

The first tackle for loss, sack and takeaway of Auburn's 2022 season belongs to senior edge linebacker Derick Hall.

He earned another first for this season's team on Monday when he was named Defensive Lineman of the Week, marking the first Auburn player to win a weekly award in the SEC through week four of the season. 

After Auburn failed to register a sack on Penn State's Sean Clifford the week before, Hall was a one-man wrecking crew in the 17-14 overtime victory versus Missouri. He invaded the backfield for three tackles for a loss including two sacks on Missouri quarterback Brady Cook. 

He recorded six tackles in the game, but his biggest contribution might have been snagging a tipped ball out of the air for Auburn's first takeaway of the year on Missouri's second drive of the game. He then showed off his athleticism, taking the ball 19 more yards to set Auburn up to punch it in the end zone and go up 14-0.

"Rush and coverage playing together (caused the interception)," Hall said. "One thing we say is, 'tipped balls are picked balls.' I was blessed to be able to pick that ball and take it back a little bit."

Auburn senior Derick Hall (29) celebrates with his signature bow-and-arrow with teammate Jaylin Simpson after defeating the Missouri Tigers in overtime in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Sep. 24, 2022.

Hall was a big factor in what was a scoreless second half on Saturday. Cook, along with the Missouri run game, failed to find any rhythm after the game entered halftime at 14-14. If Auburn didn't force five three-and-outs in the second half, Missouri likely wouldn't have needed to kick a field goal to try to win the game.

But Hall stepped up, the defense held strong while the offense sputtered and Auburn pulled out another wild win late in the game on homecoming week.

Hall now ranks No. 12 in program history with 16.5 sacks, and he now has three on the season. He didn't record any sacks in week two or three, but the team captain showed up in a big way on Saturday, and head coach Bryan Harsin had nothing but praise for No. 29.

"Derick's a captain. There's a reason why he is," Harsin said. "You know he's going to step up. He stepped up today."

Noah Griffith | Assistant Sports Editor

Noah is a senior in journalism from Salem, Alabama. He joined the Plainsman in August of 2021 after transferring in from Southern Union Community College.

Twitter: @NoahGG01

Share and discuss “Hall tallies another 'first' for Auburn, earns weekly SEC honor ” on social media.