Pi Kappa Phi hosts War of the Roses fundraising event

<p>Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity hosts War of the Roses from Sept. 6-9.</p>

Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity hosts War of the Roses from Sept. 6-9.

Wake up Auburn, it’s War of the Roses. From dunk tanks on the concourse to field days, campus is buzzing about this one. 

War of the Roses, hosted by Auburn’s Pi Kappa Phi chapter, is an annual, week-long philanthropy event that raises money for The Ability Experience, a philanthropic initiative founded by the fraternity’s national chapter in 1977. According to its mission statement, the nonprofit works to promote inclusivity, foster relationships and support Americans with developmental disabilities throughout the country. 

After a four-year hiatus, the event is back on Auburn’s campus, and members are determined to make this year’s competition the best yet. While the fundraiser kicked off on Sept. 5 with a social media contest between Auburn’s sororities, campus-wide events will be happening all week to get the entire university involved. 

For students that missed Tuesday’s dunk-tank on the concourse, the fraternity will be hosting “Bike-A-Thon” on Sept. 7 where students are invited to throw whipped-cream pies at brothers as they bike in front of their house, located on Lem Morrison Drive. That night, Whataburger will be holding a benefit night from 6-8 pm. The festivities continue on Sept. 8 with dodgeball in the coliseum from 6-9 p.m. The week culminates in a field day event dubbed “The Rose Games” on Sept. 9th from 4:30-7:30 p.m., which will be held on the intramural field. 

According to Pi Kappa Phi’s philanthropy chair, Joseph Tewksbury, the fraternity is hoping to raise $25,000 through this year’s events. 

“First year back, we went aggressive,” said Tewksbury, “we’re fortunate to have a couple sponsors that will help us get there.” 

So far, the fraternity’s big-name sponsors include Palm Beach Tan, The Standard apartment complex and Whataburger.

Tewksbury explained that it’s all about the chapter’s passion for The Ability Experience and love for Auburn as a whole that makes War of Roses such a successful event. 

“War of the Roses has never been done on the scale that we’re doing it on this year. It’s a way to connect students on campus while supporting a great cause,” Tewksbury said. 

Further information on donations can be found here

Sabina Crisitello | Assistant Culture Editor

Sabina Crisitello, junior in journalism, is the assistant culture editor at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Pi Kappa Phi hosts War of the Roses fundraising event” on social media.