Players to watch, keys to victory against Missouri

Last week, the Tigers hosted Penn State and were soundly defeated at home, 41-12. This was the largest home loss since the 2012 season, but Auburn is looking to get back on track against Missouri to start SEC play.

As uncertainty looms, Auburn hosts a familiar foe. In 2010, Missouri head coach Eli Drinkwitz interned under offensive coordinator of the year Gus Malzahn during Auburn's national championship season. 

Now, Drinkwitz is preparing to lead the Missouri Tigers to take on Auburn for both teams' first SEC matchup of the season on Saturday. Missouri has never played at Jordan-Hare Stadium, the teams last met in the 2017 season. 

Missouri is coming off a hard-fought win over Abilene Christian, 34-17. Missouri is 2-1 on the season, with its only loss being to Kansas State, 40-12 in week two. Missouri is led by a strong rushing attack, as they average two rushing touchdowns per game with 4.8 yards per carry. 

Auburn has found success running the ball, as it is primarily the reason Auburn defeated San Jose State in week two. 

However, the team got away from the run versus Penn State, as quarterbacks T.J. Finley and Robby Ashford had more carries (20) than the running backs (16). Tank Bigsby led the back in carries with nine, but only for 39 yards. The backs totaled 69 rushing yards and no touchdowns, while Penn State running backs got in the end zone five times.

The running game wasn't able to finish drives out, as Auburn turned the ball over four times, and Auburn is now -8 in turnover margin on the year.

Players to Watch

Auburn

Running Backs

Penn State's secondary is one of the best in the country, and Auburn strayed from the run last week, a method that head coach Bryan Harsin said resulted from the team getting behind. 

However, Auburn has one of the best running back duos in the country in Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter. This week, Auburn's running backs will look to exploit a Missouri defense that struggled to stop the run in week two, as Kansas State ran for 235 yards. Ashford will also have a key element in this, but expect the running backs to step up and help carry the offense. 

Robby Ashford (QB)

The freshman has a great chance to show off his skills and potentially take the starting job if he can take care of the ball on Saturday. Ashford is known for his speed and his strong arm, but he has struggled with accuracy so far this season. He has one touchdown pass and two interceptions on the season. Missouri's run defense has struggled early on, so Ashford could torch the Missouri defense that struggles in that department.

Nehemiah Pritchett (CB)

Pritchett will be given a tall task in guarding one of the most talented freshmen in the country, Luther Burden. The Auburn corners have struggled so far this season, as San Jose State had their way with them on small route concepts like slant routes. It will be Pritchett's job to defend Burden and make sure he doesn't get the passing game rolling.

Missouri

Brady Cook (QB)

The leading man for Missouri, Cook, takes over for Connor Bazelak, who transferred to Indiana. He is the team's leading rusher on top of being the leading passer. 

Cook can throw the ball as much as he can run, and scrambling quarterbacks have given Auburn trouble so far this season. Last week Auburn struggled with Sean Clifford using his legs to gain yards. Cook can get the offense rolling with impromptu scrambles and broken plays.

Luther Burden (WR) 

At 6-foot-0 and 200 pounds, the former 5-star is one of the highest recruits Missouri has landed in its program's history. He was ranked third in the 2022 recruiting class by 247 Sports. His size makes him a nightmare to put man coverage on. His numbers won't blow you away right now, but he has the potential to get the pass game in a groove. 

Kris Abrams-Draine (CB)

The junior Alabama native is from the Mobile area, and at Spanish Fort High School, he was the definition of an athlete. He played wide receiver, quarterback, kick returner, punt returner and cornerback. His freshman year, he sat as a reserve at wide receiver before making the position change to corner. 

Abrams-Draine was a lockdown corner and had three interceptions, seven pass break ups and 30 solo tackles. 

Keys to Victory

Auburn

Auburn needs to get the run game going quickly. When Missouri lost to Kansas State, Kansas State did it by giving running back Deuce Vaughn the football 24 times. Deuce Vaughn ran for 145 yards and two touchdowns. 

The blueprint is there for Auburn: Missouri's run defense is not up to par. Missouri's offense is not the most explosive offense in the nation. Auburn needs to score quick and fast and put lots of pressure on Missouri to score quick. Cook has thrown for four TDs to three interceptions. If Auburn forces takeaways, it could run away with this game. 

Missouri

Missouri needs to force Auburn to throw the ball. This is the same plan that Penn State came out and succeeded with. It caused problems for Auburn, and the second half showed it, as they were outscored 27-6.

Missouri doesn't have the talent that Penn State has, but it makes things tough on the opponent by limiting mistakes and making the opponent earn every yard. Missouri will benefit from forcing the Auburn QBs to make plays throwing the ball and force takeaways. 

Auburn will take on Missouri on Saturday, September 24th, at 11:00 a.m. CST. It will be broadcast on ESPN.

TP Hammock | Sports Writer

TP is a senior from Montgomery, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @tp_hammock

Share and discuss “Players to watch, keys to victory against Missouri” on social media.