Players to watch, keys to victory against Texas A&M

<p>Tank Bigsby (4) getting chased by a defender during the game between Auburn and Texas A&amp;M at Jordan Hare Stadium on Dec. 5, 2020; Auburn AL, USA. Photo via: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics</p>

Tank Bigsby (4) getting chased by a defender during the game between Auburn and Texas A&M at Jordan Hare Stadium on Dec. 5, 2020; Auburn AL, USA. Photo via: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

After almost completing a 21-point comeback against Mississippi State, the Auburn Tigers return to what will be a sold-out Jordan Hare Stadium to face the Texas A&M Aggies. Auburn fell in overtime, 39-33, in Starkville last week and looks to snap a five-game losing streak.

Texas A&M is on a losing streak of its own, losing five straight as well. Last week, Texas A&M lost to Florida in College Station, 41-24. 

When these two teams met last year in College Station, it had heavy playoff implications. This season, this matchup is both team's last chance at keeping the chances of getting to six wins alive and making a bowl game. Both holding a 3-6 record, one more loss eliminates either team's eligibility of making a bowl game and puts them at the bottom of the SEC West. 

With these two SEC West schools, there is unusual history. Both teams struggle to beat the other at home. Since the two started playing annually in 2012, each team has only won at home once: Texas A&M in 2021, and Auburn in 2018. 

Texas A&M enters with a strong defensive presence but struggles on offense. Texas A&M's offense averages just 1.6 passing touchdowns per game and just one rushing touchdown a game. Its defense boasts an impressive pass defense, allowing just 173.6 passing yards per game and allowing just 1.6 passing touchdowns per game. 

Texas A&M's offensive woes can be attributed to the quarterback carousel it has played this season. It began with Haynes King, who was benched in favor of Max Johnson. The LSU transfer got injured and the job was returned to King. But continued to struggle, and head coach Jimbo Fisher made the decision to put in former 5-star true freshman Conner Weigman. 

With Weigman under center, the offense was much improved. In his first start, the Texas A&M offense scored over 28 points for the first time since week one. The offense looked primed for a bright future, but he missed the game last week along with 30 other Aggies due to a flu outbreak.

Players to Watch

Auburn

Ja'Varrius Johnson (WR)

With Auburn's passing offense struggling, the Tigers will need their leading receiver to step up this week. It will not be an easy task against one of the best pass defenses in the nation. The Aggies are allowing the least amount of passing yards in the SEC – 1,562. Johnson leads the Tigers in receiving with 428 receiving yards and a TD. 

Jarquez Hunter (RB)

Jarquez Hunter had a nice game last week against Mississippi State with 12 carries, 54 yards and a touchdown. When Hunter and fellow running back Tank Bigsby are rolling, they are a tough duo to stop. It has been hard to get them going with the offensive line struggles. However, last week Hunter and Bigsby gave the Bulldog defense all they could handle. Hunter looks to do the same against the Aggies.

Derick Hall (DE)

When Auburn's defense has been strong, it has been when Hall has been wrecking offensive lines. This game should be no different for him. Auburn will look for its best defensive player to get hot and force an already struggling offense to continue their downward spiral. In 2022, Hall has 6.5 sacks with 10.5 tackles for loss.

Texas A&M

Conner Weigman (QB)

When Weigman signed with the Aggies last December, he was apart of the highest ranked recruiting class of all time. He was rated a 5-star recruit by 247 Sports and many other organizations. In Weigman's first start against Ole Miss, he threw for an impressive 338 yards and four touchdowns. He will look to return after missing last week and get his team back in the win column.

Evan Stewart (WR)

Another piece to that No. 1 recruiting class from last offseason, Stewart was seen as one of the most important pieces to the puzzle. Stewart is known for his speed and ability to catch anything thrown his way. He has 598 receiving yards and two TDs on the season so far. He will look to continue an impressive freshman campaign against Auburn.

Devon Achane (RB)

Achane is a hard man to tackle, with 887 rushing yards and six TDs on the ground. He is also a threat through the air with 196 receiving yards and three receiving scores. He is the staple of this offense and will look to give Auburn's defense problems on the ground as well as catching the ball.

Keys to Victory

Auburn

For Auburn, the best formula of victory will be for its defense to force turnovers and give its offense a shorter field. That is easier said than done, as Auburn has struggled heavily to force turnovers this season. Auburn ranks No. 124 in turnover margin, at -9. 

In the second half last week, Auburn's run offense got rolling, and it was hard to stop. Tank Bigsby, Hunter and QB Robby Ashford are the keys to getting the run game rolling smoothly. The offensive line will have a tall task against a tough Aggie defensive line.

In Texas A&M's losses, it has had to score an influx of points. When Texas A&M's defense has allowed 21 or more points, the Aggies have a 1-5 record. Auburn will look to make the game a shoot out.

Texas A&M

When Texas A&M has won this season, it has been on the backbone of its strong defense. It shut down Miami in a 17-9 victory. It shut out one of the best FCS teams in the country in Sam Houston State, 31-0. It won 23-21 over Arkansas when its defense made the proper adjustments after starting slow. 

Texas A&M will look to stop a spotty Auburn offense and let the defense cause turnovers, forcing short fields for its own struggling offense. Neither team has had a strong offense this season, but Texas A&M has the stronger defense, allowing 23.9 points per game compared to Auburn's 30.9. It will look to use that to its advantage by making this a slug fest and not a shoot out.

This matchup will start on Saturday at 6:30 P.M. CST under the bright lights of Jordan-Hare Stadium and will be broadcast on the SEC Network.

TP Hammock | Sports Writer

TP is a senior from Montgomery, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Twitter: @tp_hammock

Share and discuss “Players to watch, keys to victory against Texas A&M” on social media.