Mardi Gras parade and Krewe Krawl to take place in downtown Auburn

Parade float throws beads to the crowd at the Auburn Mardi Gras Parade on Sat, Mar. 2, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

On Saturday, Feb. 18, downtown Auburn will be hosting the 6th annual Mardi Gras parade.

According to Jessica Kohn, downtown coordinator for the Auburn Downtown Merchants Association, the city's Mardi Gras celebration continues to grow every year. 

“This is probably the second busiest day in downtown Auburn, second to the Iron Bowl,” Kohn said.

In order to provide a more exciting experience for those who attend, this year’s event, unlike previous years, will feature live music near Toomer’s Corner from noon to 2:30 p.m.

“Tomorrow is an entertainment district event, so that means you can get your favorite beverages to go,” Kohn said. “This year the Krewe provided us with cups for all of the restaurants and bars who are participating, so when you do and get a drink tomorrow to-go, you can get a souvenir cup.”

The Krewe, or the Krewe de Tigris, is a social organization founded in 2016 to “celebrate the merriment of fellowship year-round, with special emphasis placed on the Mardi Gras season,” according to the organization’s website.

Although the Krewe de Tigris is hosting the parade, ADMA is selling “Krewe Krawl” wristbands for $10 at four participating downtown shops: Behind the Glass, Charming Oaks, Ellie, and Auburn Oil Co. Booksellers. These wristbands provide participants with specials from downtown businesses—the list of specials can be found on ADMA’s website. 

As of now, Krewe Krawl wristbands are still available, and there are some set aside for day-of sales. Purchasing a wristband will help ADMA, a non-profit organization, raise money for future events in downtown Auburn.

The streets downtown will close at 2:30 p.m., and the parade will start at 3 p.m. The entertainment district event, which allows beverages to be taken to-go, will be from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

“My favorite part of the day is being able to be with my family for the parade and see the smile that everyone has on their face,” Kohn said, “It’s the type of event that draws all ages from babies to senior citizens.”

Mardi Gras, which is celebrated on Fat Tuesday, originated in 1699 in Mobile, Ala. Although Mardi Gras did not originate in Auburn, the community continues to celebrate its involvement in Alabama heritage by hosting its own celebration of the centuries-old holiday.

Kayleigh Freeman | Community Writer

Kayleigh Freeman, freshman in journalism, is a news writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Mardi Gras parade and Krewe Krawl to take place in downtown Auburn” on social media.