SGA introduces changes to Friends of Aubie requirements

<p>The SGA Senate meets in the Melton Student Center on Feb. 21, 2022, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The SGA Senate meets in the Melton Student Center on Feb. 21, 2022, in Auburn, Ala.

Monday, the Auburn Student Government Association introduced several changes to the Friends of Aubie selection process and program administration. Friends of Aubie is the program that selects and manages the University’s mascot.

The changes, introduced by COSAM Senator Cara Herring, adjust the maximum time a Friend of Aubie can serve from two years to three years if selected as a freshman. The maximum service duration remains two years if chosen as a sophomore or junior.

Additionally, the changes increase the number of active Friends of Aubie from four to five. However, the selection committee, which consists of various student and non-student members of the University, is permitted to drop that requirement back to four if there aren't enough qualified candidates.

Most of the changes concern the make-up of the Aubie selection committee. The amendments replace the Vice President of Alumni Affairs with a non-student representative from the Alumni Association, add a former Director of Aubie who is five years removed and add an Aubie Advisor as a non-voting member.

Finally, the proposal includes a clause that permits a Friend of Aubie to take an internship, study abroad or seek other academic opportunities during the summer following selection. Previously, those selected were required to stay on Auburn's campus. 

However, those planning to be absent during the summer after selection must be a first or eligible second-year Friend of Aubie and receive approval from the Aubie advisors.

Assistant to the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Corey Edwards additionally serves as an Aubie Advisor. Present during the SGA Senate meeting, Edwards said the changes bring the laws up to date.

“We’re updating our bylaws to make sure that how we are operating represents how the program is currently run,” Edwards said.

Despite the overhaul, the spirit of Aubie remains the same.

“There are a couple of changes that are happening, but overall is to make sure that we can continue to have Aubie out and about serving the Auburn community and continue being an ambassador for Auburn University,” Edwards said.

Ethan Flynn | Campus News Editor

Ethan Flynn, sophomore in journalism and finance, is the campus editor at The Auburn Plainsman. He has been with The Plainsman since Fall, 2022.

Share and discuss “SGA introduces changes to Friends of Aubie requirements” on social media.