EDITORIAL | We stand with Dadeville

<p>&nbsp;This devastating incident left at least 32 people injured and 4 dead, and had a list of names been released, each of them would be published here to remember and grieve.&nbsp;</p>

This devastating incident left at least 32 people injured and 4 dead, and had a list of names been released, each of them would be published here to remember and grieve. 

We at the Plainsman are brought to a sense of loss and grief for the shooting that occurred in Dadeville on Saturday, April 15. This devastating incident left at least 32 people injured and 4 dead, and had a list of names been released, each of them would be published here to remember and grieve. 

First and foremost, we hear and see you, Dadeville. We mourn with you. We are broken, angry and confused alongside you. With Dadeville being only 25 miles from Auburn, we all have a connection to those kids, one way or another.

There are infinite emotions swirling around in our minds. Mental health cannot be overemphasized in a situation like this. Take time to process. Let yourself be sad. It is a dishonor to the victims if this tragedy is minimized. 

Check on your family and friends who are from there or are from close by. Check on your friends who have any trauma involving a shooting. Check on your friends who seem to be okay too, because everyone has thoughts and emotions about what happened in Dadeville and what is happening across our country.

At the end of the day, we are just college students without answers. At this time, we don’t even have all the details about what occurred on April 15. All we can do is raise our weary, unified voices in support of those impacted and beg for justice. 

According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 164 mass shootings in the United States so far in 2023, yet there have only been 108 days. These shootings are happening in schools, banks, neighborhoods and even birthday parties. They are happening in small towns and big cities. They are injuring and killing people who are young and old. They are affecting everyone. 

As the end of the semester draws near, Auburn students are preparing to disperse for the summer. Some will return to cities where there have been mass shootings. Some will go home in fear that there could be a mass shooting. And some will worry for their friends and family, hoping and praying that there won't be a mass shooting close to them.

No matter which shoes you are in, your feelings are valid, and you deserve to be able to exist in peace. Walk in your heaviness the best you can. Dadeville is relevant. Questioning the current state of our country is important. Being grieved over catastrophic injustices is necessary. 

Editorials represent the majority view of The Plainsman's editorial board and do not necessarily represent that of the entire newsroom. 

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL | We stand with Dadeville” on social media.