Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best Mexican Food: Taco Mama

A margarita at Taco Mama on Feb. 26, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

The Plainsman's Choice 2023 award for "Best Mexican Food" goes to Taco Mama. Located in downtown Auburn on East Magnolia Avenue, Taco Mama is home to the best tacos and margaritas on The Plains. The restaurant is open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and stays busy throughout the week and into the weekend. 

Although the restaurant's atmosphere is lively and boisterous, dining in isn’t the only option that Taco Mama provides. It is also home to some of the best catering in Auburn. They cater work events, extracurricular activities and even tailgates. No matter where on campus, people are often enjoying the restaurant's food and drinks.

Another notable aspect of Taco Mama is its affordability for college students. Leon Wanjiru, sophomore at Auburn University, said he enjoys hanging out with his friends and family at Taco Mama. 

“Taco Mama is a nostalgic place for me, I enjoy going there with my family and friends. My favorite meal to get from Taco Mama is the classic beef tacos. It’s always very fresh, and the customer service is superior," Wanjiru said. "My friends and I love to hang out there and make great memories while eating our favorite meal." 

Taco Mama caters to the south as the chefs make sure to add a southern twist to their Mexican food. One reason for Taco Mama's success is its attention to its customer demographics and, subsequently, its ability to cater to them. This business strategy, which Taco Mama has mastered, keeps a large influx of both old and new customers coming in.

Taco Mama is an enjoyable and consistent restaurant the Auburn community can rely on. The Auburn community knows when going to this restaurant, that there is a guarantee of exceptional service and quick, fresh food.

“It makes us feel good and it makes us feel like we’re doing our job well. What we do to ensure that our customers feel safe, is to have exceptional customer service. We are always on top of things and we are always consistent with our food while pleasing our customers,” said Assistant General Manager Troy Tucker. 

Jakai Spikes | Writer

Jakai Spikes, senior in Journalism, is a writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best Mexican Food: Taco Mama” on social media.