Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best Thrift Store: Thrifty Lizard

Men’s denim section inside of the Thrifty Lizard on Sept. 12, 2022.

All the best for much less! 

That’s what Thrifty Lizard is all about and why the store was selected as Auburn students' favorite thrift shop in Auburn.

Kendall Jackson, a senior in organismal biology, especially values the store’s organization. 

“Honestly, this is the most impressive thrift store I’ve ever been in because it’s so organized. Everything is very neat and doesn’t look just kind of thrown on a rack. Everything is really nice quality and you can actually see everything,” Jackson said.

However, Thrifty Lizard's impact goes beyond Auburn students. The affordable prices and the unique quality of items offered attracts shoppers of all age groups.

“They have very distinctive clothes that fit a 90s theater kids type style,” said Desiray Cox, student at Auburn High School. The best item she found at Thrifty Lizard were cactus overalls. 

Members of the Auburn community like thrifting at Thrifty Lizard for various reasons, but what definitely sets it apart from other secondhand shops is the quality of everything that is sold. 

“Almost all of our inventory is like-new or brand new with tags and you can’t really get that at most thrift stores,” said Alison Price, manager of the Thrifty Lizard.

The store is a relatively new addition to Auburn’s thrifting landscape and offers items for prices starting at $1. From men’s, women’s and kid's clothing, to shoes, accessories, formal wear, or sports gear, the Thrifty Lizard offers a wide range of clothing options. 

Thrifty Lizard's selection contains everything you need for a perfect outfit, along with books, luggage and even houseware. 

“We have a very big variety of things. Our store is so huge and we’ve got pretty much everything you can think of,” Price said.

The store’s management is proud of their diverse selection. Price describes the changes and progress they made since opening last fall. 

“We have expanded. So when we’ve opened, we didn’t have the upstairs open, and we decided to move some inventory upstairs so we can include furniture," Price said. 

The addition of furniture has been well received by customers. 

"We’ve been selling lots of furniture. All of our furniture is also brand new,” Price said.

When shopping for a special occasion, the Thrifty Lizard offers a unique service to its customers. Employees hand-pick items for upcoming holidays, events or game days that customers can find on special racks right by the entrance of the store. 

Currently, those special racks include cute dresses, colorful shirts and skirts for Easter as well as jean shorts, dungarees and flannels for Auburn Rodeo.

The store, which had their grand opening last October, already has a reputable standing in Auburn’s community. Price explains that their customer base is steadily growing. 

A big part of their growth is through regular shoppers telling people about their positive experiences. While word-of-mouth advertising is very important and seems to have worked really well for the Thrifty Lizard, Price mentions that first-time customers are highly valued too.

“We still have people that come in that are like, 'This is my first time in here, I’m gonna come back, I love this place'. But there are still a lot of people that still don’t even know that we’re here,” Price said. “We love seeing new faces so come and check us out.”

Share and discuss “Plainsman's Choice 2023 Best Thrift Store: Thrifty Lizard” on social media.