UAH transfer Chaney Johnson set to transfer to Pearl and Auburn

<p>Bruce Pearl pats a Georgia player on the back after an Auburn win at Neville Arena on February 1st 2023</p>

Bruce Pearl pats a Georgia player on the back after an Auburn win at Neville Arena on February 1st 2023

Auburn added another key piece to its 2023-24 roster Friday afternoon as Chaney Johnson, a transfer from the University of Alabama-Huntsville, announced his pledge to head coach Bruce Pearl and the Tigers. Johnson made the announcement on social media.

Johnson, rated as the No. 33 player in the transfer portal according to On3, played three seasons with the Chargers and won the 2022-23 Gulf South Conference Player of the Year award before entering the transfer portal and eventually committing to Auburn.

During his three seasons at UAH, Johnson averaged 13.7 points per game, 5.2 rebounds per game and 1.1 assists per game. Johnson also shot 53.8% from the field, 37.2% from the three-point line and 73.8% at the free-throw line.

Johnson’s journey at the Division-II level began with him coming off the bench his freshman season in all 19 games while playing 11.5 minutes per game. However, in his second season Johnson’s role took a massive leap.

Starting in 31 of the Chargers’ 33 games, Johnson saw his minutes per game double to 23.6 while he averaged a career-high 16.8 points per game and won the Gulf South Conference tournament with the Chargers. Johnson also shot 58.6% from the field and a blistering 46.4% from deep.

His increased role continued into his third season with the Chargers as Johnson started all 36 games and helped lead the team to a share of the 2022-23 Gulf South Conference regular season championship. Johnson led UAH to its fourth-most wins in a season (27) and an appearance in the NCAA Division II South Region championship where he dropped 18 points, eight rebounds, three assists and three blocks.

Johnson attended Thompson High School in Alabaster, Alabama, and joins Florida International transfer Denver Jones as Auburn additions from the transfer portal. The Tigers are also bringing in 4-star point guard and McDonald’s All-American Aden Holloway from high school.

Jacob Waters | Assistant Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a junior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “UAH transfer Chaney Johnson set to transfer to Pearl and Auburn” on social media.