A guide to Auburn's traditions and rituals

Toomer's Drugs in downtown Auburn, AL.
Toomer's Drugs in downtown Auburn, AL.

With football season right around the corner and an exciting fall semester ahead, now is a perfect time for students to familiarize themselves with a few things that make Auburn, Auburn, like rituals and traditions.

As a returning student, these are a great way to refresh the brain and remember the reasons to love Auburn. Whether those reasons are seeing Aubie the Tiger, getting back into Jordan-Hare Stadium, or just being excited to be back on campus, the love is there.

For others, like freshman or transfer students, Auburn's traditions are an enjoyable way to get to know the Auburn family a little bit better. Priding themselves on strong values found deeply-rooted in the words of the Auburn creed, newcomers can learn a few things by being in the atmosphere of Auburn's campus.

However, Auburn's traditions can be difficult to adjust to for new students.

Here is a guide to Auburn traditions and rituals that could be a memory refresher for the new season.

Being an Auburn fan comes with a lot of responsibility. From going all out on game days to remembering chants and cheers, there is so much passion that goes into being a fan. 

However, it is equally important to Auburn students, faculty and fans that people understand the history behind the famous battle cry, "War Eagle".

The beginning of the famous shout has been attributed to a wide variety of tales. From a chant to tire out a tough Native American player from the Carlise Indian School in 1914, to a trinket that fell off a student during a Langdon Hall rally in 1913 and even to the war cry of ancient Saxon warriors, “War Eagle’s” true origins has been lost to history.

However, the most popular legend involves a civil war veteran and a battlefield pet he kept for almost 30 years. During Auburn’s first game against Georgia in 1892, the veteran’s eagle broke free and took flight as the Tigers began their game winning drive.

“Elated at their team's play and taking the bird's presence as an omen of success, Auburn students and fans began to yell “War Eagle” to spur on their team,” according to the Auburn website.

When walking down the street wearing an Auburn shirt, do not be surprised if you hear a loud "War Eagle", and acknowledge the love from a fellow fan. 

While "War Eagle" may be one of the most popular chants, there are other cheers that are also worth mentioning.

Cheers like "Bodda Getta", "Glory, glory to ole' Auburn", "Two Bits", "Track 'em Tigers", and, "War Eagle", not to get confused with the chant, are also fan favorites and great knowledge to memorize for game days.

Aside from war cries and game day cheers, the traditions here at Auburn are another aspect that brings the Auburn family together.

Rolling Toomer's corner after a big win, saying "War Eagle" as the eagle takes flight and the student section swaying to "Swag Surfin" are some of Auburn's most well known traditions. 

When asked about his favorite Auburn tradition, Ric Smith, the voice of Jordan-Hare Stadium and College of Liberal Arts faculty member, was thrilled to share his dearest traditions.

"One of my favorite traditions is the eagle flight. It is such a beautiful and majestic moment that is unique to Auburn. I also love watching the band come out of the tunnel pregame. They are so talented," Smith said. "I love the look and sound as they take the field."

Latisha Durroh, director of community relations and the spirit squad, was also excited to share her favorite traditions and the reasons she loves Auburn.

"I don’t think there is anything better than our alumni and fans coming together to cheer for our team on game days," Durroh said. "It really does feel like a big family reunion. You can really feel the excitement during Tiger Walk, as our team gets off their buses and walk into the stadium, as everyone cheers for them." 

With a better understanding of Auburn's history, those who were once uncertain can now enter Jordan-Hare with a greater knowledge of the traditions and rituals.

Share and discuss “A guide to Auburn's traditions and rituals” on social media.