How to pack for a game day on the Plains

<p>A graphic of a clear, blue bag with an orange question mark on it to represent what you should bring to football games.</p>

A graphic of a clear, blue bag with an orange question mark on it to represent what you should bring to football games.

Preparing for a day at Jordan-Hare Stadium can be a bit overwhelming, especially for first-year students. One must figure out when to get there, where to park and what to wear — all of which can be confusing. 

Many freshmen have expressed that packing a game day bag can be overwhelming. Luckily, fellow students gave advice on what essentials to bring to enjoy the game and minimize stress. 

For starters, students are going to want to make sure they have a clear bag, in adherence with the stadium’s clear bag policy. Backpacks, camera bags and other large bags are prohibited, so keep that in mind when choosing what bag to bring. Clear bags are not hard to find, as plenty of local shops sell them. 

One will need a few essentials in their bag, such as a Tiger Card, phone and wallet. Different students have different opinions on what is deemed essential for game day. 

“I bring my Tiger Card, gum, a portable charger, my keys, phone and wallet,” said Laura Martin, senior in graphic design. “I might bring a mini brush, deodorant and a mini fan if my bag is big enough, but I try not to bring too much.” 

Lauren Hayes, junior in exercise science, has a similar packing strategy. 

“I keep my house keys, physical Tiger Card, at least two pads or tampons, my phone and my airpods,” Hayes said. 

Natalie Biron-Yuan, senior in pre-veterinary medicine, packs the same essential items. 

“If it’s a game early in the season, I’ll bring a mini fan and hair clip because it’s going to be really hot. If it’s supposed to rain, make sure to bring a poncho,” Biron-Yuan said. “Chapstick and tampons are my essentials.” 

Jaylin Carlisle, sophomore in human development and family sciences, likes to pack a little lighter. 

“I’d just bring chapstick and my debit card. That’s really it,” Carlisle said. 

Larobbie Shepard, sophomore in pre-veterinary medicine, also packs her bag light. She just brings her phone, keys and wallet on game day. 

What gets packed also depends on what size the bag is.  

“My game day bag is really small, so I can only fit my phone, a portable charger and band aids in case of an emergency. The clear bags are really small — you can’t bring a big bag in. But, my portable charger is a must,” said Amanda Mirshak, senior in psychology. 

Keeping cool seemed to be a concern amongst most students, and many suggested bringing a fan of some sort — especially for the first few games of the season. Some students also suggested bringing makeup to touch up during halftime. 

“I’d bring some of those oil wipes and setting spray as a way to keep my makeup on during the hot games,” said Annabel Dawson, senior in wildlife ecology and management. “I also need my debit card, phone and keys.” 

While most students packed their bags similarly, others had some unexpected essential items. 

“My essential item is Chick-Fil-A sauce. I also bring Aquaphor, an extra shaker, sunglasses and sunscreen,” said Madi Weeks, senior in nursing. 

From Chick-Fil-A sauce to mini fans, students pack their bags with all sorts of items that they deem essential for game day. Make sure to pack lightly, but be intentional. 

Sam Vise | Community Reporter

Sam Vise, junior in journalism, is the community reporter for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “How to pack for a game day on the Plains” on social media.