COLUMN | How working at The Plainsman inspired me

Some editions of The Auburn Plainsman from the 1960s

The Auburn Plainsman is the most decorated collegiate newspaper in history, having received numerous awards from from conference superlatives to 26 National Pacemaker Awards. 

Our entirely student-run and student-funded publication has undeniable accolades. The influence of The Plainsman is widespread and deep. We have created real change at our university and in our culture. We have encouraged and inspired countless students, staff, alumni and those close to them. 

To us — the writers, editors and behind-the-scenes heroes — however, The Plainsman means even more, and this year we celebrate 130 years of our beloved newspaper. 

I remember receiving my acceptance email to become an official member of The Auburn Plainsman. It was my sophomore year, and I was excited to direct my studies in journalism toward a real publication. 

After college, I knew I wanted to pursue some form of fashion media. I didn't know if there would be a place for writing like that in my student newspaper.

However, my fears and reservations were met with brainstorming and open minds. After speaking with a few different people on The Plainsman staff, I began to work with the opinion editor to create a column entitled “Dressing up for games is the southern way.” 

This experience confirmed my purpose and direction of career. I realized with legitimate proof that my dreams were attainable, and I could do it for the rest of my life. 

The Plainsman is where I found my footing as a young writer, and it is the first media outlet to publish my work. Now, as a senior about to graduate with a Bachelors of Arts in journalism, I reflect on how this newspaper has shaped me as a journalist and how it continues to inspire me daily. 

I've been given an outlet to create. 

I've been given an opportunity to learn the ins and outs of of my craft. 

I've been given confidence in my writing abilities. 

I've been given space to share my ideas and thoughts openly. 

I've been given a platform and audience for my voice to be heard. 

This newspaper reassures me there is still a burning passion within the journalism community, and it has instilled in me the values of what it means to be a journalist.

With my time at The Plainsman soon coming to an end, I will take its principles and all the lessons I've learned from it as I step into my journalistic endeavors. 

The Auburn Plainsman inspires me to inspire others through the outlet of journalism. This organization holds a special place in my heart, and — based on everything it's done in the past 130 years — I know it will continue to do the same for generations to come. 

Mallorie McCoy | Columnist

Mallorie McCoy, senior in journalism, has been a columnist for The Auburn Plainsman for four years. 

mcm0196@auburn.edu

@malloriemccoy20

Share and discuss “COLUMN | How working at The Plainsman inspired me” on social media.