Lee County Fair returns to Opelika

Lee County Fair on October 4, 2023.
Lee County Fair on October 4, 2023.

The annual Lee County Fair is back in town from Oct. 3-7 and is open each night from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. The fair returns every year on the first Tuesday of October. Located at the fairgrounds in Opelika, the Lee County Fair first debuted in 1948. 

Admission to the fair is $5 for adults, not including ride tickets. Tickets can be purchased online or in person. The fair is sponsored by the Opelika Exchange Club, according to member Jerry Dakins. 

“I like working here, it’s great to see all the families come through. Our association owns the fairgrounds and I work here almost every day of the year taking care of cutting the grass, painting and maintenance,” Dakins said. 

Dakins and the rest of the club work hard to keep the fairgrounds looking nice for the fair each year. They want to attract as many guests as possible. 

“Our goal is to reach an attendance of 30,000 people by the end of the week. With how it's been so far, I think that that is very reachable. It gets bigger and bigger every year. I love seeing everyone come together to enjoy this classic experience,” said Ron Oswald, a ticket booth worker. 

The fair features many attractions, such as the ferris wheel, the pirate ship, bumper cars and a house of mirrors. Guests can opt to buy individual ride tickets or purchase an unlimited ride ticket for $20. With about 15 attractions on the grounds, most guests opt for the unlimited ticket. 

“My favorite ride here is the Rock O’ Plane because it takes you upside down. It feels like a true theme park ride,” said patron Treasure Franklin.

If one is not into thrill rides, the fair offers plenty of carnival games where guests can try their luck with winning prizes. 

“I just won at the balloon darts. I had never played them before, so I can’t believe I won on my first try. I won this huge snake stuffed animal that I’m going to put in my room,” said Gage Mathis, a patron at the fair. 

Other guests were less concerned with the games and more focused on the classic fair foods that were offered. Stands were set up all throughout the fairgrounds selling cotton candy, caramel apples, popcorn and more. 

“My favorite fair food is the street corn. Tonight I got cajun and garlic style corn, and it’s delicious,” said Dessa Faulker, another guest at the fair. 

The fair hosted the Miss Lee County Fair’s Outstanding Teen Pageant on Wednesday night, as well as the statewide goat show on Thursday night. 

The livestock tent attracted almost as much attention as the rides, as people lined up to watch cattle, sheep and other animals being shown. Contestants could also enter crops that they have grown. 

The fair also featured live music from various artists, including Alabama’s Singing Cowgirl, Jessie Lynn. The musical acts were performed under the big tent right next to the fair’s entrance. 

Whether one is looking for thrill rides, games or classic fair foods, the Lee County Fair has it all. 

Sam Vise | Community Reporter

Sam Vise, junior in journalism, is the community reporter for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Lee County Fair returns to Opelika” on social media.