Plainsman Picks: Ole Miss

Ahead of Auburn's game against Ole Miss, here's what some of our staff has to say about the game, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor (47-23): Ole Miss 34-27

"In our preseason schedule predictions, I had Auburn sitting at 3-3 with losses to Texas A&M, Georgia and LSU, and I had Auburn picking up its first SEC win of the season at home against Ole Miss. Prior to the season however, I did not think Auburn's offense would look as bad as it has.

We saw Ole Miss score 55 points a few weeks ago against LSU, and we also saw Auburn score just 18 against that same LSU team. Hugh Freeze said earlier this week that Auburn is not in a place where it can get in a shootout with teams, and I fully agree. Auburn is fortunate this game is in Jordan-Hare Stadium at night, and I think that will go a long way into making this a close game. I also think Auburn coming off three straight losses will be hungry to prove something, but I just don't think it will be enough to conquer the struggles offensively. If this is a relatively high-scoring game, I can't put my faith in Auburn's offense to outplay a Lane Kiffin offense."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor (46-24): Auburn 27-24

"Ole Miss's offense has had great success against the weaker defenses it has faced but against the better defenses, the results haven't been quite as good. The Rebels average 489.3 yards per game but against the top three defenses they have faced, Alabama, Tulane and Arkansas, that number drops to 337.7 yards per game — Auburn is statistically the fourth-best total defense Ole Miss has faced.

Just like the LSU team Auburn faced last week, the Rebels' defense has had success stopping the run but has struggled to stop the pass. No matter who primarily plays at quarterback for the Tigers, the game will be determined by their success passing the ball. At Jordan-Hare Stadium, where Auburn can never be counted out of a game, one big offensive drive or one big defensive stop could determine the game. Behind what will be a raucous sellout crowd, I think Auburn comes up with the one big play it needs to earn the upset."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter (34-36): Ole Miss 35-20

"For the first time in his Auburn career, Hugh Freeze is set to take on the Ole Miss Rebels, but the Tigers are no stranger to the Rebels. I am always hesitant to count the Tigers out of a contest in Jordan-Hare, but I do not see Auburn keeping up with an explosive Ole Miss offense. The Rebels average 41.67 points per game while allowing 23.83 points per game from their opponent.  Led by quarterback Jaxson Dart, the Rebel offense can do it all, whether it be putting the football in the air or keeping it on the ground. 

While the Ole Miss defense has struggled this season–especially the pass defense, ranking 110th in the nation in pass defense–its pass rush has kept a struggling defense intact. I do not think Auburn will be able to get their offense rolling, largely due to the Rebel pass rush, and I expect Ole Miss to take back to back games against Auburn for the first time in 71 years.” 

Caitlyn Griffin, Sports Writer (42-28): Ole Miss 35-21

"No. 13 Ole Miss readily awaits the Primetime showdown in Jordan-Hare Stadium, looking to add another win to its record. The Tigers have struggled in SEC play, going 0-3 compared to the Rebels' 2-1 mark. But Auburn has the edge over Ole Miss in this historic matchup, leading the 95-year-old rivalry 35-12 (17-3 home, 13-4 away).

Auburn’s defense must be prepared to keep up with Ole Miss's fast-paced offense in order to give the Tigers’ offense a chance to keep it a competitive matchup. Ole Miss has one of strongest offenses in the nation, ranking No. 8 for scoring offense (41.7 points per game), No. 11 for fourth down conversions (75%) and No. 17 for passing offense (306 yards per game)."

Craig Noyes, Sports Writer (47-23): Auburn 27-23

"Last week did not leave Tiger fans with much to be happy about, and with Auburn facing another high-powered offense, the pressure to capture the team's first SEC win is more significant than ever. Ole Miss successfully snapped a seven-game losing streak to the Tigers last season in Oxford. Ole Miss has struggled at besting the Tigers in two consecutive seasons, the last time being in 1952. 

The LSU and Ole Miss pass defense is comparable, with Ole Miss ranking 111th in the FBS, allowing 261.5 passing yards per game. Unlike the LSU Tigers, the Rebels' defense will not have the crowd on their side.  Hugh Freeze will seek revenge against his former school, as the Tiger's 49th-ranked pass defense will cause miscues and errors from Jaxson Dart. The Tigers will grind out a vital home win."

Patrick Bingham, Sports Writer (41-29): Ole Miss 34-19

“Ole Miss is looking to win back-to-back games against Auburn for the first time in 71 years. The Rebels have also only won in Jordan-Hare Stadium three times in their 20 attempts in this series. But the makeup of these two teams don’t seem to match with what history might suggest about this contest.

Ole Miss is one of 12 schools nationally with at least seven yards per play and one of nine below 23 seconds per play. The Rebels also currently possesses the SEC’s second-best scoring offense at 41.7 points per game, ranking eighth nationally. Auburn got a taste of similar offense down in the Bayou last Saturday in a 48-18 loss to LSU.

Freeze’s first year Tigers just aren’t built to win shootout football games, averaging 27.7 points per game. If the Rebels can get off to a hot start like LSU did last week, and they are certainly capable, it could be another quickly decided game for Auburn.”

Chase Black, Sports Writer (35-35): Ole Miss 34-20

"The Rebels are coming off a bye week, and it is a sure bet that Lane Kiffin and his team will have a game plan ready to attack the Tiger defense. With close wins over Arkansas and LSU, Ole Miss will be looking to put Auburn away early. Led by quarterback Jaxson Dart, the Ole Miss offense is averaging nearly 500 yards per game with over 300 of those flying through the air. Meanwhile, the Auburn defense has surrendered 300-yard passing performances in the past two games. Ole Miss has a talented back in Quinshon Judkins, but it is hard not to see the passing attack playing a large role in this affair.

The Tigers are seeking their first conference win of the season. The contest will also mark Hugh Freeze’s first game against his former team since becoming the Tiger ball coach. Auburn’s passing woes have been well documented, but the running game is still pretty dang good. The Tiger offense is averaging over 190 rushing yards per game and has a trio of talented backs. Getting first downs and keeping it out of Dart’s hands will be a must if the Tigers hope to jump off the three-game slide they are riding."

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: Ole Miss” on social media.