Mobile bike shop brings accessible repairs across campus

Davin Miles and other members of Campus Recreation ready to help people with their bikes at mobile bike shop at Campus Green on Nov. 3, 2023.

Auburn Outdoors, part of Auburn University's Recreation and Wellness Center, offers a variety of services to cater to students' biking, camping and water equipment needs. Whether a student is interested in joining outdoor trips and workshops, conquering the rock climbing wall or utilizing the resources of the rental and bike shop, Auburn Outdoors has students covered.

The bike shop offers free workshops and skilled student technicians to fix students' bikes and educate students in the process.

Keli Berkman, assistant director of Auburn Outdoors, believes the most amazing part of the bike shop is that “students serve students.” 

Students who pay their student activity fee can visit the bike shop and receive assistance from their fellow students in repairing their bikes.

In a recent initiative, Auburn Outdoors hosted a mobile bike shop on campus various times this year. The mobile bike shop offers the same repair services as the shop in the Rec Center, but is hosted throughout the campus. The most recent mobile bike shop took place on Friday, Nov. 3 on the Campus Green. 

Berkman emphasized the purpose of the mobile bike shop is to “make it more accessible for the student body and raise awareness about its existence.”

The idea for the mobile bike shop originated last year during an event on campus called Oars and S'mores, which was hosted to inform students about Auburn Outdoors. The bike shop technicians were at the event and repaired multiple students' bikes. This successful event inspired Henle Hart, senior in business management and student bike shop manager, and Robert Hill, coordinator for Auburn Outdoors, to create the mobile bike shop.

The technicians at the mobile bike shop on Nov. 3, Hart and Cade Norris, junior in civil engineering, explained the shop is fully equipped with all the necessary tools for bike repairs. 

Students are encouraged to visit the bike shop or mobile shop, where they can either use the tools themselves or seek expertise of the technicians. The repairs are provided entirely free of charge, with the only potential cost being the replacement of any parts.

Working at the bike shop has not only enabled these technicians to develop and hone their bike repair skills, but it has also exposed them to an exceptional work environment, which they eagerly endorsed.

“It's one of my favorite jobs I've ever had,” Norris said.

The bike shop is not just a place for repairs; it's a hub for cycling enthusiasts. Everyone is welcome to visit, not only for bike repairs but also to discuss all things related to bikes. Students without a bicycle have the ability to rent mountain bikes, road bikes and touring bikes for a charge.

“We love having people there who are interested in bikes," Hart said. "Come hang out, talk to us and schedule rides."

Auburn Outdoors provides a variety of resources to help students plan trips, including the best places to paddle, hike, climb and bike. 

In the upcoming spring semester, students can expect the mobile bike shop to be available twice a month. Auburn Outdoors encourages students to attend the mobile bike shop or visit the shop located in the basement of the Campus Recreation Center. The shop is open Monday through Friday, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The mobile bike shop will be on the Campus Green Friday, Nov. 10 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Mobile bike shop brings accessible repairs across campus” on social media.