Students and alumni pay tribute to Matthew Perry as they reminisce on milestones in his life

"Friends" star, Matthew Perry, tragically passed away on October 28, 2023.

Matthew Perry, widely known as the actor who played Chandler Bing on the famous sitcom Friends, passed on Oct, 28, 2023 at 54 years old. 

Other than Perry's famous role on Friends, he recently wrote a memoir called Friends, Lovers, and The Big Terrible Thing in 2022. 

He wrote the book when he was 52, two years before his passing. According to the source "Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing Summary and Study Guide," the memoir is focused on the impact of his parent’s divorce on his childhood, his teenage years as a famously ranked tennis player, experiences related to his drug and alcohol addiction, past relationships with girls and his years in the sitcom Friends. 

When people read his memoir, they learn that during his childhood he had a variety of stomach issues and would always be crying. At two months old, his parents put him on different medications to get him to be quiet.

Perry’s dad abandoned Perry and his mother when his mother was just 21 years old. His life came with more challenges due to his divorced parents and Perry's drinking habits started when he was only 14 years old.

Perry liked making people laugh, regardless of what he was going through. He was 17 years old when he fell deeply in love with acting. He loved making his family, friends, and basically everyone laugh no matter how hard he struggled with substances. 

Towards the end of his life, he became clean and started to really change his life and want to help people. 

In the prologue of Perry's memoir Friends, Lovers, and The Big Terrible Thing, Perry mentioned, “There is light in the darkness. It’s there. You just have to look hard enough for it.”

Students and alumni of Auburn University, who are big fans of Perry, wanted to share their favorite quotes from the TV show Friends.

Lauren Bistritz, fifth-year majoring in graphic design, has been obsessed with Friends for years and was excited as she shared her favorite Chandler quote.

“My favorite quote by him is when he’s talking to his roommate Eddie and he says, ‘It’s not out of the blue. This is smack dab in the middle of the blue!'” Bistritz said.

Stephen Bistritz, junior majoring in aerospace engineering, thought of sharing his favorite Chandler line as well.

“My favorite quote is when Chandler says: ‘When I first meet somebody it’s usually panic, anxiety, and a great deal of sweating.’. I have always felt like that quote is funny, semi-relatable and fun,” Bistritz said.

A few members from another family were eager to share their favorite quotes from Friends.

Harrison Aulner, alumni who majored in building science, didn’t personally watch the show but he loves two famous quotes from it.

“The two quotes that come to mind that I love from Friends would have to be Ross’ quote ‘Pivot’ and Joey’s quote ‘How you doin’?’” Aulner said.

Abby Bell, alumna who majored in nursing, is obsessed with the show Friends and loved all the characters. Bell shared a few of her favorite quotes from the show.

“When Ross goes in one episode, ‘I’m fiiiiiiiine’, I love that one. The way he says it is just great. Another one I love would have to be when Joey says in one episode ‘Joey doesn’t share food.’” Bell said.

Jimmy Aulner, alumni who majored in education, got a laugh out of one of Ross’ quote from being a history teacher.

“This quote by Ross cracks me up being a history teacher. Ross goes, ‘No, homo habilis were erect. Australopithecus was never fully erect.’ Then Chandler replies, ‘Well, maybe he was nervous,'” Aulner said.

Perry's legacy and impact that he had on people was immense and he will continue to live on in others' hearts.

Share and discuss “Students and alumni pay tribute to Matthew Perry as they reminisce on milestones in his life” on social media.