Hate crime reported in Haley Center

<p>Campus Safety issues AU Alerts to notify people of dangers and suspicious activities either on campus property or those that have the potential to end up on campus property.</p>

Campus Safety issues AU Alerts to notify people of dangers and suspicious activities either on campus property or those that have the potential to end up on campus property.

This story was updated at 7:12 p.m., Dec. 5.

Following an investigation, Campus Safety has determined a group of juveniles is likely responsible for the vandalism, according to Susan McCallister, director of campus safety and compliance. She said the university is continuing to work with Auburn Police and they do not yet know the motive for the crime. Besides from the vandalism, no other damage was reported. 

On Sunday, Dec. 3, at 6:28 p.m., Auburn University's Department of Campus Safety and Security sent a university-wide email regarding a report of a hate crime as defined by the Clery Act.  

The reported incident occurred in an office of the Haley Center. The alleged victim reported an act of vandalism potentially motivated by gender and racial bias to the Department of Campus Safety and Security the afternoon of Dec. 3, according to the email 

“The reporting party stated that items in her shared office were damaged, and racial and gender-based slurs were written on a white board,” the email said.  

The Clery Act requires universities to report vandalism and related crimes only if they are “motivated by bias” against the victim on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin or disability. 

According to the email, a suspect has not yet been identified nor is a description of the suspect available. A police investigation is underway, and the incident was reported to the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Employment.

Connor Copeland | Campus Editor

Connor Copeland, freshman in English literature, has been with The Plainsman since fall 2023

Share and discuss “Hate crime reported in Haley Center” on social media.