The Plainsman's opinions: favorite Christmas movies

Members of the opinion section share their favorite movies to watch during the holidays.

The Opinion Section's favorite holiday movies graphic composed by Sami Grace Donnelly using Adobe Express.

Jakai Spikes, opinion writer | journalism major 

I love "This Christmas." It is a mixture of comedy, love and solving family issues.

This movie came out in 2007 and is a musical comedy about a family who has not been fully together for years. The holidays are bound to bring us awkward interactions, so people find a lot of comfort and humor in these depictions. 

It’s important to give light to these experiences and focus on loved ones around this time of year. This movie is perfect for that. 

Noah Griffith, opinion writer | journalism major with a minor in sports coaching

My favorite Christmas movie is "Elf." 

This movie had its debut in 2003, and Will Ferrell’s Buddy is a classic Christmas character. The movie is light-hearted, funny and meaningful. 

Growing up, I always watched it with my family multiple times a year. I remember me and my sister staying with our grandparents over the summer and asking to watch "Elf" out of all the other movies. I could literally quote the entire movie, and it just always gives me a good laugh and puts me in a holly jolly mood.

Mallorie McCoy, opinion writer | journalism major with a focus in fashion and lifestyle writing

I love "The Polar Express."

"The Polar Express" came out in 2004, and breathes life and holiday joy to kids all over the world. 

Growing up, we always had a Christmas party in school where we watched "The Polar Express," as many schools did. Whenever that day came around I knew it was officially the holiday season and Christmas Day was just around the corner. 

As I have gotten older, this movie holds a special place in my heart and reminds me I am never too old to believe in the magic of Christmas. Also, the movie proves there is much more significance to this holiday than the surface level sentiment of gift-giving, which I think is important.

Sami Grace Donnelly, opinion editor | English major double minoring in journalism and Spanish

It's hard to choose my favorite movie to watch around the holidays. There are so many of them that I watch year after year, in succession. However, I think the most timeless storyline for me is "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

I remember reading the book and watching the Dr. Seuss movie all throughout my childhood. Then, I graduated to the Jim Carrey version at friends' houses and Christmas parties during my teen years. In 2018, Universal Pictures released an animated version, and I cannot get enough of it. 

I think this story speaks so deeply about how Christmas brings people together, and it promotes generosity, forgiveness and personal growth. Not to mention, the soundtrack is incredible, and there are so many little moments that always make me chuckle. 

Share and discuss “The Plainsman's opinions: favorite Christmas movies” on social media.