Auburn parts ways with offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery

<p>Auburn offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery at a press conference in the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 7, 2023.</p>

Auburn offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery at a press conference in the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Aug. 7, 2023.

Offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery will not return to coach for Auburn in 2024, it was announced Friday afternoon.

“I informed Philip today he would not be retained as our offensive coordinator,” said head coach Hugh Freeze. “Philip is a good coach and a good man. Decisions like this are never easy, however, I decided this is best for our program moving forward. I’m appreciative of his efforts this past year and wish him nothing but the best.”

Montgomery came to Auburn from Tulsa, where he served as the head coach from 2015-22. Montgomery called plays for the Tigers in the 2023 season – an inconsistent season for the Auburn offense. 

Though the Tigers ranked in the nation’s top 25 in rush offense, amassing 189 yards per game on the ground, the pass offense struggled mightily. The Tigers were among the nation’s bottom 10 in the passing game, getting just 162.2 yards per game through the air – the 121st-rated pass offense nationally and the worst in the SEC.

The Tigers’ scoring offense was the 11th-best of 14 SEC teams in 2023, averaging 26.2 points per game – only ahead of South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. In its eight SEC games, Auburn’s scoring average dropped to just under 25 points per game. In addition, Auburn had 13 passes intercepted, the most in the SEC.

Montgomery’s departure continues a revolving door at the offensive coordinator position for Auburn. The 2024 season will bring the Tigers’ eighth offensive coordinator in seven seasons.

Montgomery is the second assistant coach to leave the program following the 2023 season, with cornerbacks coach Wesley McGriff leaving the team to coach at Texas A&M.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Auburn parts ways with offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery” on social media.