Aubie celebrates 45 years

<p>Aubie's statue during his 45th birthday celebration at the Melton Student Center at Auburn University on Feb. 28, 2024.</p>

Aubie's statue during his 45th birthday celebration at the Melton Student Center at Auburn University on Feb. 28, 2024.

Aubie the Tiger, the beloved and iconic mascot of Auburn University, celebrated his 45th birthday on Wednesday, Feb. 28. 

The festivities unfolded in the Harold D. Melton Student Center, adjacent to his newly unveiled bronze statue. The occasion provided an opportunity for the Auburn Family to come together and share in the collective joy of Aubie's special day.

Aubie’s birthday celebration featured a photo opportunity with the tiger himself. Students were given birthday hats to wear and eagerly lined up for a chance to snap a picture with Aubie. Balloons, streamers, refreshments and cupcakes added to the festive atmosphere, allowing everyone to partake in the joyous occasion. 

Numerous students present at the celebration expressed their love and admiration for Aubie.

Students were invited to sign a poster extending warm wishes to Aubie and were provided the opportunity to enter a raffle to win a limited edition Aubie figure bobble head or a mascot school t-shirt. The winners will be announced on Aubie’s social media.

Auburn students signing Aubie's birthday card for his 45th birthday celebration at the Melton Student Center at Auburn University on Feb. 28, 2024.

Jennifer Jordan, junior in nutrition dietetics and director of outreach for Aubie, expressed her awe at the outpouring of love and support for the beloved mascot. 

"It always amazes me how many people love Aubie so much," Jordan said. "Every single year I'm just surprised and so excited to see how many people love him. It is truly the most amazing honor to be able to celebrate him today because he just makes everyone's day so much better."

The mascot's 45th birthday garnered widespread attention on social media platforms from numerous students and fans of Aubie. Even Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey extended her heartfelt wishes to Aubie, acknowledging him as "the best mascot in college football." 

Aubie dates back to his origins as a cartoon creation by Phil Neel, featured in the Auburn vs. Hardin-Simmons football program on Oct. 3, 1959. Over the years, Aubie's presence evolved, becoming an integral part of Auburn's identity and tradition. For many years, Aubie was on the program and some even believed his cartoon appearance brought good luck for Coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan's teams. 

Aubie transitioned from ink and paper and was brought to life on Feb. 28, 1979, when he made his first appearance as a live mascot at the Birmingham-Jefferson County Civic Center. It was a historic moment in which he strode proudly alongside first-year Auburn coach Sonny Smith's team, igniting an unforgettable upset victory over Vanderbilt.

With Auburn University boasting a rich history spanning 168 years, it's hard to fathom a time when Aubie was not a cherished part of its identity. Yet, Aubie is not just a mascot; he embodies the spirit of Auburn and is an essential component of campus life.

Aubie is no ordinary mascot. Since 1991, he has dominated the Universal Cheerleaders Association Mascot National Championships, recently winning his 11th championship in January. He has also won three mascot hall of fame awards, his most recent one last year. 

Aubie's presence, whether traveling campus in his signature golf cart or making public appearances, showcases the pride, tradition and unwavering spirit of the Auburn Tigers.

Aubie remains a cherished symbol of Auburn University. His 45th birthday celebration stands as a testament to the enduring legacy of the beloved mascot, whose spirit continues to inspire and uplift the Auburn community for generations to come.

Share and discuss “Aubie celebrates 45 years” on social media.