Aggravated assault reported on campus

<p>Campus Safety issues AU Alerts to notify people of dangers and suspicious activities either on campus property or those that have the potential to end up on campus property.</p>

Campus Safety issues AU Alerts to notify people of dangers and suspicious activities either on campus property or those that have the potential to end up on campus property.

On Wednesday, March 6 at 2:41 p.m., Auburn University's Department of Campus Safety and Security in a university-wide email announced a report of aggravated assault as defined by the Clery Act. 

The reported incident occurred near The Hotel at Auburn University & Dixon Conference Center on the same afternoon of the email. The alleged victim "was standing outside when she was struck by a BB," according to the email.

Following the incident, the Auburn Police Department reported the crime to the university. The police are investigating as of the email, although a suspect has not yet been identified nor is a description of the suspect available.

The Clery Act defines aggravated assault as "an unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury." Universities must disclose such crimes under the act based on several factors, including location and nature of the crime committed. 

This story will be updated if additional information arises.  

Connor Copeland | Campus Editor

Connor Copeland, freshman in English literature, has been with The Plainsman since fall 2023

Share and discuss “Aggravated assault reported on campus” on social media.