Brittney Williford / Associate Campus Editor

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

SAE Baja Alabama makes tracks in Auburn

Auburn played host this weekend to the annual Baja SAE Alabama competition. The event, held Thursday through Friday, inculded automotive and race competitions.Teams from across the country competed, and Auburn placed in several of the events, including a fourth place finish in suspension traction and fifth place in maneuverability.Overall results have not been released, but Auburn faculty adviser Peter Jones said he is pleased with how the team performed despite technical setbacks in competition."We turned in good performances," Jones said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Annual weight loss challenge encourages healthy habits

Many Auburn residents kicked off 2009 by shedding some pounds through Scale Back Alabama, an annual statewide campaign to make Alabama healthier.Hundreds of participants formed teams and first weighed in at three local sites in January, and the final weigh out was Friday.The 10-week campaign is a project of the Alabama Hospital Association and the Alabama Department of Public Health.Bill Jackson of Campus Recreation oversaw one of the sites."I had 62 teams and 236 individuals weigh in at this site in January," he said.One participant, Jeff Halstead, weighed in March 13 and lost a total of 20 pounds."I'm happy with that total," Halstead said.Halstead, who is on a team with his co-workers, is participating for the second year.Jackson said a majority of the participants lost more than 10 pounds, and several teams had all members lose 10 pounds or more.Those teams will be eligible for statewide cash prizes.Winners will be announced Wednesday.The competition, now in its third year aims to encourage Alabama residents to maintain a healthy lifestyle to decrease state obesity and diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure and stroke.The campaign is also funded by Barber's Dairies and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama.Scale Back Alabama also provides resources on how to get healthy and lose weight on its Web site, scalebackalabama.com.

More articles »