WEGL 91.1 holds first WEGLfest in Student Union

Rod Guajardo/ ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR
Rod Guajardo/ ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Seven bands from three states converged on Auburn Saturday for WEGLfest, the station's first event in a decade with live acts.

All proceeds from the festival, which ran from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom, went to the World Food Programme through Auburn University's Committee of 19.

"We are still waiting for the final total donated, but we have estimated the total money raised by WEGLfest to be about $1,200," said Station Manager Chandler Moore.

The money came from the $3 admission paid by the more than 400 attendees, along with donations from local restaurants.

"Since it was the first event we have done in so long, we expected it to be a moderate success, but we got double the amount of charity we expected to do," Moore said. "We consider it a great success for our organization."

All bands agreed to play for no charge.

Headlining the festival was rock band Magnolia Sons.

William Ferguson, guitarist and vocalist, said the group first played in Auburn last year, and now makes it a priority stop.

Drummer and vocalist Austin Augierre said he also enjoys playing in Auburn.

"It's definitely the best growing fan base we've had out of town, and the people here are becoming closer and closer friends," Augierre said.

Guitarist Matthew Wise from local BanderLog said the group was excited about the opportunity to play.

"We decided to play because we're just trying to play as many shows as we can, and it's for a good cause," Wise said.

Rafael Villanueva, WEGL DJ and a senior in civil engineering, said he hopes to make the event annual.

"We just wanted to do something for a good cause," Villanueva said.

Committee of 19 member Jim Hunt, a senior in forestry, said WEGL chose the charity because all proceeds go directly to the World Food Programme.

"They thought we'd be good because all our money goes directly to feed people, and they liked that," Hunt said.

The Committee of 19 sold T-shirts, mugs and bags at WEGLfest to help the 963 million people worldwide who go to bed hungry.

Students can find out how to help at auburn.edu.

Share and discuss “WEGL 91.1 holds first WEGLfest in Student Union” on social media.