Natalie Nettles/Intrigue Editor

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Driveway Valet Takes Students and Cars Home Safely

A night on the town can be an ideal way to relieve the stress of school, but often leaves students making poor decisions when it comes to driving home.However, a new Auburn business, Driveway Valet, is doing its part to keep students from getting behind the wheel after drinking.Owner and Auburn alumnus Timothy Patton said the company's goal is to get individuals home safely in their own vehicles."You give us a call, and we get a driver to you as fast as we possibly can," Patton said.

Austin Nelson/Associate Photo Editor
Community

Local Legends Lie in Local Cemetery

Five University presidents, two U.S. generals and the man responsible for bringing football to Auburn.These individuals are among the many Auburn men and women buried in Pine Hill, a 6-acre cemetery on Armstrong Street."It's the oldest and most historic cemetery in Auburn," said Ann Pearson, member and past president of the Auburn Heritage Association.Pearson said the land for Pine Hill was given to Auburn in 1837 by Judge John Harper, founder of the city."There are 1,500 people or more buried here, that we know of," Pearson said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Corrupted-Files.com Offers a New Type of Homework Excuse

Gone are the days of forged doctor's excuses and computers that crash the day an assignment is due.A new Web site, www.corrupted-files.com, promises to do away with excuses of the past by allowing students to e-mail purposely corrupted files to professors in order to buy time to finish their work.The site, which offers Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents for $3.95, does not identify its Webmaster and states on the home page to keep the site a secret.Joey Burns, a sophomore in supply chain management, said he thinks students who use this site to buy time are cheating."Everybody has to be dealt with on the same time line," Burns said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Opinion

Spending Summer in Auburn Worth It

Ah, sweet summertime on The Plains.Though many students prefer to get out of Auburn for the summer, I am not one of them.In fact, I've stayed in Auburn every summer since I've been enrolled here.Yes, it's empty and there is not as much going on as during the fall and spring semesters.However, there are many things one can take advantage of by spending a summer in Auburn.Not that Auburn has a plethora of traffic anyway (except on football game days), but there is significantly less traffic during the summer months.You are guaranteed a parking spot on campus no matter what time of day you have class.No more driving aimlessly around C-Zone praying to God, or whichever deity you choose, that someone leaves within the next three minutes so you can make it to class on time.You are also guaranteed to find a guest spot at any of the various apartment complexes.Say a temporary good-bye to parking a mile way or risking the wrath of a tow truck.Summer classes at Auburn are shorter and generally smaller.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

History of Rock Music Class Offered This Summer

Auburn may not be the School of Rock, but students taking a particular summer course may find themselves indulging in the sounds of youthful rebellion and powerful guitar riffs."The History of Rock Music," a special topics course being offered during the first summer semester, is looking into how the rock music genre originated and how it has evolved since.Howard Goldstein, professor of the course, said he has been interested in rock music since an early age."What I like about early rock music is people actually wrote songs, songs that have a structure and a melody and a texture and interesting harmonies and lyrics that are observational," Goldstein said.The course, which was offered last summer semester as well, is the first of its kind at Auburn.Although Goldstein only got to the Jimi Hendrix and Woodstock era last summer, he hopes to cover more this time around."Since I favor that music to begin with, I guess I kind of emphasize it," Goldstein said.Goldstein said he plans to definitely cover The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan."You can't really talk about the history of rock without those because everything that comes after relates to those groups I would say," Goldstein said.

More articles »